7270Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Spin-up maxtor onetouch

  • Rod Whitby
    Mar 28, 2008
      David Shepherd wrote:
      > N.b. as is the habit of things on internet the whole EraseAll
      > situation has become totally exagerated and when googling to find out
      > how to use it I found endless websites which solemnly declare that if
      > you use eraseall then your NSLU2 will be permanently bricked! Given
      > that its a tool produced by Linksys this would seem unlikely but
      > common sense is not a major asset in parts of the web!

      It is a fact that the *only* reported cases of end-user brickage of
      NSLU2 units have occurred when the EraseAll tool has been used. There
      have been no confirmed reported cases of permanent (i.e. requiring
      hardware JTAG to fix) brickage when people use UpSlug2 or the SerComm
      updater to reflash as recommended by the nslu2-linux project.

      There are at least two cases where EraseAll is guaranteed to brick your
      device:

      1) You get a power failure during flashing. Note that power failure
      includes the cat knocking the power adapter out of the wall.

      2) You try and flash a Debian image (which for DFSG-compliance reasons
      does not contain a replacement copy of RedBoot).

      > Clearly eraseall is more dangerous than other toosl to reflash the NSLU2 since
      > it apparent rewrites all the redboot code so if something does go
      > wrong you may have bricked the NSLU2 so for standard unslinging etc
      > its safer to use something less drastic ... however, in my situation
      > (to quote a UK TV advert) "it did what it says on the can".

      A goal of the nslu2-linux project is to not increase the warranty/RMA
      return rate of NSLU2 devices to Linksys. At the moment, the only cases
      we know where using nslu2-linux firmware has caused a return is when
      someone has used the EraseAll tool and encountered one of the two known
      failure modes.

      For this reason, we strongly advise, at every opportunity possible, that
      people do *not* use EraseAll.

      Now, anyone is free to disregard that advice if they know what they are
      doing. At that point, any failure becomes the sole resposibility of the
      person making that choice - the project has done all it can to prevent
      problems. We don't prevent people using EraseAll, and if it does the
      job for someone who fully understands the risks, then that's great.

      -- Rod Whitby
      -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic