      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > On Tue 26/02/08 12:02 AM , "David Shepherd" david@ sent:
      > > > [snip]
      > Onetouch to
      > main
      > is it
      > affect
      > > >
      > > > Now that is *exactly* the correct question, IMO. Far too many
      > > people have wasted
      > > > far too much time, it seems to me, to try to get disks to spin
      > down
      > > for no useful
      > > > reason.
      > > >
      > > > The bottom line is that a modern disk drive is designed to spin.
      > > There's no
      > > > appreciable wear caused by keeping it running. Modern drives are
      > > much better
      > > > about it, but in fact older hard drives were rather limited in
      > terms
      > > of the
      > > > number of load/unload cycles they could tolerate.
      > >
      > > Thanks ... I think I'll forget about spin down and get on with
      > doing
      > > more usefull things with the slug. It just seemed a bit "strange"
      > that
      > > this HDD which is primarily intended to do rsnapshot backups of the
      > > main NAS device (a WD Netcenter) will be running 24/7 while the
      > > netcenter spins down after around 5 mins idle!
      > >

      > There is possibly another argument for keeping the drives spinning.
      > I seem to remember around the late seventies early eighties it was
      > determined that computers that stayed on all the time were more
      > reliable than ones which were turned on and off. This was eventually
      > attibuted to the temperture cycles and the gold wires in IC's
      > connecting the silicon die to the pins for the outside world. The
      > temperture cycles made the wires expand and contract, they would
      > eventually break due to metal fatigue. I would like to think that
      > there have been improvements in this regard since then, but you
      > never know. So I suppose we should ask, do the majority of drives
      > fail because of mechanical motor/actuator wear or logic board
      > failure?
      >
      > Anyway I tend to power down drives if not going to be used for
      > several days (i.e. holding backups), otherwise they tend to remain
      > on and spinning.
      >
      > Anyway everyone is different, so as stated earlier you have to make
      > up your own mind what is best.
      >
      > Jeremy (Bullfrog)

      Hi, I just read an interesting article on this in the German computer
      magazine c't. Quote (and translated by me):
      "For desktop 3.5" drives, SATA and IDE, the manufacturers generally
      view 50,000 start-stop cycles as OK (within spec maybe?).
      If you use the drive on 230 days a year, and have 20 on-off cycles a
      day, then over 5 years that is 23,000 cycles."

      Which as such doesn't really say anything. Some people will have
      drives that fail after far less cycles, and others will have drives
      that keep running far longer.

      Just FYI.

      Cheers Brian
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic