      wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@>
      wrote:

      > > On Tue 26/02/08 12:02 AM , "David Shepherd" david@ sent:
      > > [snip]
      > > > If not ... while it seems "tidy" to be able to get the
      Onetouch to
      > > > spindown (its mainly aimed at being a backup server which will
      > > > eventually run rsnapshot once or twice a day to snapshot my
      main
      > > > active NAS drive slo its not really in use much at the moment)
      is it
      > > > really necessary to get the drive to spin down .... will it
      affect
      > > > reliability much etc?
      > >
      > > Now that is *exactly* the correct question, IMO. Far too many
      > people have wasted
      > > far too much time, it seems to me, to try to get disks to spin
      down
      > for no useful
      > > reason.
      > >
      > > The bottom line is that a modern disk drive is designed to spin.
      > There's no
      > > appreciable wear caused by keeping it running. Modern drives are
      > much better
      > > about it, but in fact older hard drives were rather limited in
      terms
      > of the
      > > number of load/unload cycles they could tolerate.
      >
      > Thanks ... I think I'll forget about spin down and get on with
      doing
      > more usefull things with the slug. It just seemed a bit "strange"
      that
      > this HDD which is primarily intended to do rsnapshot backups of the
      > main NAS device (a WD Netcenter) will be running 24/7 while the
      > netcenter spins down after around 5 mins idle!

      There is possibly another argument for keeping the drives spinning.
      I seem to remember around the late seventies early eighties it was
      determined that computers that stayed on all the time were more
      reliable than ones which were turned on and off. This was eventually
      attibuted to the temperture cycles and the gold wires in IC's
      connecting the silicon die to the pins for the outside world. The
      temperture cycles made the wires expand and contract, they would
      eventually break due to metal fatigue. I would like to think that
      there have been improvements in this regard since then, but you
      never know. So I suppose we should ask, do the majority of drives
      fail because of mechanical motor/actuator wear or logic board
      failure?

      Anyway I tend to power down drives if not going to be used for
      several days (i.e. holding backups), otherwise they tend to remain
      on and spinning.

      Anyway everyone is different, so as stated earlier you have to make
      up your own mind what is best.

      Jeremy (Bullfrog)
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic