    Feb 28, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "David Shepherd" <david@...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Tue 26/02/08 12:02 AM , "David Shepherd" david@ sent:
      > > [snip]
      > > > If not ... while it seems "tidy" to be able to get the Onetouch to
      > > > spindown (its mainly aimed at being a backup server which will
      > > > eventually run rsnapshot once or twice a day to snapshot my main
      > > > active NAS drive slo its not really in use much at the moment) is it
      > > > really necessary to get the drive to spin down .... will it affect
      > > > reliability much etc?
      > >
      > > Now that is *exactly* the correct question, IMO. Far too many
      > people have wasted
      > > far too much time, it seems to me, to try to get disks to spin down
      > for no useful
      > > reason.
      > >
      > > The bottom line is that a modern disk drive is designed to spin.
      > There's no
      > > appreciable wear caused by keeping it running. Modern drives are
      > much better
      > > about it, but in fact older hard drives were rather limited in terms
      > of the
      > > number of load/unload cycles they could tolerate.
      >
      > Thanks ... I think I'll forget about spin down and get on with doing
      > more usefull things with the slug. It just seemed a bit "strange" that
      > this HDD which is primarily intended to do rsnapshot backups of the
      > main NAS device (a WD Netcenter) will be running 24/7 while the
      > netcenter spins down after around 5 mins idle!

      Dave,
      I have a Maxtor One-Touch and a WD drive that both have built in
      spin-down. One is running on an Unslung and the other on a Debian
      slug. Both drives spin down OK. But, I must admit, it did take some
      detective work to get the debian one to spin down, that was due to the
      samba version used.
      In my case, the Debian is a test slug, and is usually powered off. The
      unslung one is on 24/7, it serves music and does automatic backups of
      all active machines in my network each evening around 20:00. That
      means if no one listens to any music, the disk needs to run for about
      5 minutes a day. In my case I opted for the spin-down path, as opposed
      to leaving it running all the time. I have no idea how much
      electricity it really saves spinning down the drive
      Depending upon the usage of the slug I think everyone needs to make
      their own decision.

      Cheers Brian
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic