7181Re: Spin-up maxtor onetouch

  • David Shepherd
    Feb 27, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

      > On Tue 26/02/08 12:02 AM , "David Shepherd" david@... sent:
      > [snip]
      > > If not ... while it seems "tidy" to be able to get the Onetouch to
      > > spindown (its mainly aimed at being a backup server which will
      > > eventually run rsnapshot once or twice a day to snapshot my main
      > > active NAS drive slo its not really in use much at the moment) is it
      > > really necessary to get the drive to spin down .... will it affect
      > > reliability much etc?
      >
      > Now that is *exactly* the correct question, IMO. Far too many
      people have wasted
      > far too much time, it seems to me, to try to get disks to spin down
      for no useful
      > reason.
      >
      > The bottom line is that a modern disk drive is designed to spin.
      There's no
      > appreciable wear caused by keeping it running. Modern drives are
      much better
      > about it, but in fact older hard drives were rather limited in terms
      of the
      > number of load/unload cycles they could tolerate.

      Thanks ... I think I'll forget about spin down and get on with doing
      more usefull things with the slug. It just seemed a bit "strange" that
      this HDD which is primarily intended to do rsnapshot backups of the
      main NAS device (a WD Netcenter) will be running 24/7 while the
      netcenter spins down after around 5 mins idle!
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic