7024Re: Preserving ALLCAPS directory names on FAT partitions

  • dnquark
    Jan 5, 2008
      cat /proc/mounts only gives
      /dev/sdb5 /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 vfat rw 0 0
      and similarly for other vfat drives/partitions

      This doesn't say anything about codepage options. From logs of poking
      around and googling, it looks like the partitions are mounted by
      binaries (/etc/rc.d/rc.bootbin on bootup or something called by
      /usr/sbin/USB_detect). Can anyone confirm that?.. And if so, is
      there a way to figure out exactly what those binaries are doing with
      codepages when they mount the drives?

      Alternatively, there has to be a way, I'm sure, to use the mount
      command to achieve the same configuration that the system has after
      automounting. I suspect it's a matter of selecting the codepage
      properly.

      When I mount without specifying the codepage, all Cyrillic filenames
      turn into (seemingly) random strings formatted in 8.3 uppercase. When
      I mount with utf8 option, the existing cyrillic unicode filenames
      don't get parsed right; each cyrillic character (encoded using 2 bytes
      in UTF8) apparently gets parsed as two 1-byte latin characters and is
      thus displayed as garbage.

      Any help would be great :)

      > cat /proc/mounts
      > will show you what/how the device was mounted. But also keep in
      mind that
      > perhaps the issue may involve how Samba is configured as well; the
      Linksys
      > logic also ensures that a custom Samba configuration is created when it
      > automounts the drive.
      >
      > Mike (mwester)

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic