7020RE: [nslu2-general] Device for serial port

  • Gregg C Levine
    Jan 4, 2008
      Hello!
      I see your point, Mike (mwester). I really do. I just brought back the
      widget that I described below, and as it happens it's got everything shoved
      into the USB end of things with just the phone connector there, and attached
      via two small screws. And get this, my Linux box reports the USB ID as the
      name on the cable, so it might not even be the same chip thing as the pages
      on the web site we've got reporting as such.

      Incidentally this one is being sold as a discontinued device, so I suspect
      that even the phones it went to aren't even made anymore.

      Well I'll keep trying. I'll probably buy one or the other of these widgets
      and report back what it is.

      Do you believe I should draft a wiki page on the subject?

      --
      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

      On
      > Behalf Of Mike (mwester)
      > Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 10:03 AM
      > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] Device for serial port
      >
      > "Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon@...> writes:
      > > Hello!
      > > The website for the NSLU2 that our group uses as a wiki describes using
      > > specific data delivery cable for the cell phone community for attaching
      > > the serial port inside the NSLU2 unit.
      > >
      > > Why? It happens that there are several of the things available for all
      > > models from one of the Radio Shack stores that I happen to buy some of
      my
      > > parts and other supplies from. Including one that's currently on sale.
      > >
      > > If they were all made by the same vendor and packaged the same, wouldn't
      > > they be using the same chipset, so we could use the same driver, and
      such
      > > like?
      >
      > But they're not the same. :( The problem is the cell phone end of
      things.
      > Some of them take 3.3V serial rx, tx, and ground -- those are the ones
      that
      > will work for the NSLU2. But there are some cell phones that speak "usb";
      > those cables look similar, but (as I've had the misfortune to discover),
      the
      > "blob" in the middle of the cable contains a circuit board that has no
      > components; it just serves as a means of connecting the custom phone
      > connector to the standard USB connector.
      >
      > So what you really need to do is to figure out for each cable at Radio
      Shack
      > if the phones that said cable supports speack 3.3V serial. That's
      difficult
      > information to track down, I've found.
      >
      > Mike (mwester)
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links