7016Re: [nslu2-general] Device for serial port

  • Mike (mwester)
    Jan 4, 2008
      "Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon@...> writes:
      > Hello!
      > The website for the NSLU2 that our group uses as a wiki describes using a
      > specific data delivery cable for the cell phone community for attaching to
      > the serial port inside the NSLU2 unit.
      >
      > Why? It happens that there are several of the things available for all
      > models from one of the Radio Shack stores that I happen to buy some of my
      > parts and other supplies from. Including one that's currently on sale.
      >
      > If they were all made by the same vendor and packaged the same, wouldn't
      > they be using the same chipset, so we could use the same driver, and such
      > like?

      But they're not the same. :( The problem is the cell phone end of things.
      Some of them take 3.3V serial rx, tx, and ground -- those are the ones that
      will work for the NSLU2. But there are some cell phones that speak "usb";
      those cables look similar, but (as I've had the misfortune to discover), the
      "blob" in the middle of the cable contains a circuit board that has no
      components; it just serves as a means of connecting the custom phone
      connector to the standard USB connector.

      So what you really need to do is to figure out for each cable at Radio Shack
      if the phones that said cable supports speack 3.3V serial. That's difficult
      information to track down, I've found.

      Mike (mwester)
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic