7005Re: Preserving ALLCAPS directory names on FAT partitions

  • dnquark
    Jan 2, 2008
      Allow me to clarify:

      I need to mount the FAT32 partitions using the shortname=winnt option.
      How do I accomplish that automatically?

      The uppercase->lowercase problem was fixed by doing the following:
      umount /dev/sdc5
      mount /dev/sdc5 /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_2_1 -o async,shortname=winnt

      But how do I tell the slug to use shortname=winnt option whenever it
      mounts the vfat disks on bootup or on disk reconnect?

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dnquark"
      <leo.alekseyev+nabble@...> wrote:

      > I am mounting some FAT32 partitions via a USB hub on port 1 of an
      > Unslung slug. I also have Samba 3 installed. Here is a problem: if I
      > create a directory FOO, either in Windows or by doing mkdir on the
      > slug, it ignores the case and directory foo is created.
      >
      > This only happens for short (<= 8 chars) directory names in all caps.
      > When I mkdir FoO or FOOFOOFOO, they are created just so.
      >
      > This creates potential issues when using rsync due to case-sensitive
      > comparisons.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic