6926Re: sda1 on flash, not hdd - should I restart unslinging?

  • Ben Pollinger
    Nov 21, 2007
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
      wrote:

      > > I succesfully flashed my slug with unslung but ran into problems
      > > unslinging to a hard disk, a new Iomega Desktop 500GB
      > >
      > > I formatted the disk in the web interface, was reported as formatted
      > > as ext3. Removed it and rebooted, telnet in, changed password.
      > > Reconnected disk, unsling to disk and reports OK.
      > >
      > > Restart and the disk is seen as unformatted. unslung is running from
      > > flash, not disk. Tried reflashing, reformatting etc a few times, no
      > > joy, except the disk was recognised at full capacity so I think
      that's OK.

      > You've probably run afoul of the issues that unslung is known to
      have with
      > larger disks. We've never been able to determine the problem, or a good
      > workaround, probably because none of the development team have large USB
      > devices to test with. :(
      >
      > > df reports that /dev/sda1 is mounted as /share/flash/data rather than
      > > hdd and this seems to be the crux of it.
      >
      > Yes. We think that the Linksys code to mount the device attempts to
      check it
      > for errors, and runs out of memory (or something). The result is
      that it
      > unmounts the disk, and what you are left looking at is the
      mount-point on
      > the flash . This is just theory, and no workaround has been developed,
      > however.
      >
      > > I'd like to start again, i.e. reflash to Linksys firmware but it seems
      > > the reflash leaves some config info intact, e.g. password, device
      > > name, workgroup etc.
      >
      > I'm not sure what drives you to the conclusion that the config info
      is the
      > problem? It certainly won't make any difference in the problem you've
      > outlined above, and it won't help or hinder you in reflashing
      either. You
      > can reflash Unslung, and it will continue to fail just as it did
      before. :(

      > > - Should I reset sysconf > flash with Linksys and restart?
      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ResetSysConf
      > >
      > > - or is there a less drastic solution?
      >
      > There really is no good solution at this time. Some large disks seem to
      > work, others seem to have this problem. Debian or SlugOS are options to
      > consider. You can also consider unslinging to a smaller disk, or to
      a flash
      > device, and mounting the large drive as an add-on disk (not natively
      > formatted).
      >
      > > Thanks for your help,
      > > Ben
      >
      > Mike (mwester)

      Thanks Mike, I read this just after resetting sysconf, reflashing and
      getting to the same point again, i.e. hdd doesn't mount.

      I'll look into alternatives - might be an excuse to get my head round
      some more Debian.

      Thanks for your help,
      Ben
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic