6659Re: Speeding up my NSLU2 - without Linux knowhow

  • mbogelund
    Aug 13, 2007
      Getting the Slug to do things it wasn't originally meant to, is a
      somewhat geeky task.

      If you just want an appliance that serves > 2 disks, acts as a print
      server and is superduper fast, you should buy such a device (or devices).

      If you want to learn about Linux, download an compile this and that,
      mess with cryptic error messages in order to figure out how to correct
      a problem, and open your device in order to modify the hardware, then
      go with the NSLU2.

      Personally i went with the second option, and I love it.

      There's a risk that you "brick" your NSLU2, waste a lot of time with
      no benefit, and end up frustrated and hateful towards Linux if you
      only want the solution without the work.

      The NSLU2 is a fun and rewarding toy, and can be a great appliance
      with many cool uses, if you are willing to learn and put a little
      effort to it. And you get to be part of a helpful community filled
      with experts and other clever entities :-)

      I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to calibrate your
      expectations towards this task.

      Good luck with whatever solution you choose!

      --
      Martin

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, David K <subs@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > I have a NSLU2, which is working reliably but seems very slow.
      > What can I do to improve its performance, and maybe even
      > add print server functionality for USB printers.
      >
      > Can it serve >2 disks?
      >
      > I don't know any linux so most of the advice I have seen while
      > lurking is way over my head!
      >
      > But I maybe would be able to follow detailed instructions.
      >
      > DK
      >
      > Melbourne.au

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic