6657Re: Speeding up my NSLU2 - without Linux knowhow

  • bascule_the_fule
    Aug 12, 2007
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 08:01 +0000, bascule_the_fule wrote:
      >
      > > The instructions here [1] will get you through a Debian installation
      > > on an NSLU2.
      >
      > I really don't think it's wise to install debian on a slug if you hardly
      > now anything from linux.

      Nor do I, and that's why I also wrote this:

      <quote>
      The instructions here [1] will get you through a Debian installation
      on an NSLU2. However, what they won't do is impart the knowledge you
      need to get out of trouble if you deviate from them accidentally or if
      the installation goes wrong. Nor will they teach you how to maintain
      your system securely, install samba and all the stuff you need for
      file and print serving, etc.

      On the surface that's not good Linux advocacy on my I know, but I am
      trying to give you pause for thought before you dive on in and find
      yourself swimming in water a little too deep for personal comfort.
      </quote>

      .. but then it depends on a number of factors doesn't it? If the
      original poster is competent in other disciplines, is keen to learn
      Linux and is not dependent on his/her slug then it might be an ideal
      way to learn.

      However, on the surface I agree with you Marcel, as I can see a number
      of pitfalls that might discourage a total beginner for good if they
      encounter them under these circumstances.

      btf
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic