6646[nslu2-general] Re: File copies bring slug to it's knees

  • Thomas Reitmayr
    Aug 6, 2007
      Hi Curt,
      my own observation is that there are several factors influencing
      performance for file transfers:

      - Mount options: 'sync' definitely slows down transfers a lot. You should
      notice the performance hit when accessing /share/flash/conf.

      - The buffer options: Using 32KB for rx and tx buffer works best for me.
      For Samba that would be (slug-side samba options)
      socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=32768 SO_SNDBUF=32768
      for NFS (PC side mount options)
      rsize=32768,wsize=32768

      - The file system used: The journaling "overhead" of ext3 was quite
      noticable on my slug so I use ext2 for bulk data and on a different
      partition ext3 for important stuff.

      - The distro used: I have no experience with unslung, however with
      SlugOS/BE 3.10 I saw 8,1 MB/s reading, 7,1 MB/s writing, now with
      SlugOS/BE unstable it is only 4,6 MB/s reading, 4,3 MB/s writing. CPU-load
      usually goes up to 80 - 90% and seems to be major limiting factor, as you
      have observed.

      There is some more information at
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/Performance

      Regards,
      -Thomas

      --- curtpederson <curt.pederson@...> schrieb:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 01:47 +0000, curtpederson wrote:
      > >
      > > > Here is the information about my USB enclosure:
      > > >
      > > > T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
      > > > D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
      > > > P: Vendor=04b4 ProdID=6830 Rev= 0.01
      > > > S: Manufacturer=Cypress Semiconductor
      > > > S: Product=USB2.0 Storage Device
      > > >

      > > Which firmware and filesysten do you use?
      >
      > This is the message it gives me when I log in:
      >
      > Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta
      >
      > It is formatted as EXT3:
      >
      > /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw)
      > /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
      >

      > > > My slug and network are running at 100mb and I'm using switches, so
      > > > the collisions shouldn't be an issue.
      > >
      > > Are you sure?
      > >
      > > I have seen a lot problems with switches if autonegations fails. After
      > > that the switch could run in full duplex mode and the host in half
      > > duplex which will cause a lot collisions and bad performance.
      > >

      > Well, I'm not 100% sure, but the switch shows it is running in
      > 100/full mode. I'll force my PC into 100/full mode and see what
      > happens.
      >
      > I've been able to SCP files from my Mac to other machines on the
      > network without performance issues. Is there a way to force the slug
      > into 100/full mode (even though the switch says it is?)
      >
      > Thanks!

      Heute schon einen Blick in die Zukunft von E-Mails wagen? Versuchen SieĀ“s mit dem neuen Yahoo! Mail. www.yahoo.de/mail
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic