6624Re: Which firmware to use?

  • bascule_the_fule
    Aug 1, 2007
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Cripps" <kabads@...> wrote:

      Hi Adam,

      > I'm new to my linksys nslu2 and wish to upgrade the firmware to use it
      > for http (mod_python included), samba, cups (print sharing), some
      > bittorrent use, possibly squid, ssh access. I may even possibly try
      > and run some media sharing, such as gnump3d(?).

      I am doing most of what you describe above.

      > My question is, which firmware would be best for the above packages?
      > My main desktop machine used to run Debian (before the wonderful
      > Ubuntu came along) so I am used to .deb packaging and apt-get
      > installations. However, does it have all the packages I need?

      Yup, it's Debian!

      > I've read this page [1] but am still not sure which one to go for.
      > Debian looks the obvious choice, but I don't know enough about SlugOS
      > to make an informed decision.

      I can't really help you there in terms of which one will squeeze the
      last drop of performance out of the hardware, etc., but I can say that
      if you know Debian then you will be completely at home with the
      installation and upkeep of your system. Package installations are
      utterly predictable as you are installing from the latest stable
      release, and all the tools you need for day-to-day maintenance are
      there as you might expect.

      I encountered one issue with an attempt to install Swiki Swiki;
      essentially the pre-comiled Linux binary would not run, I guess on
      account of the architectural differences between i386 and arm. A
      shame, but I can't really blame that on Debian!

      With regard to gnump3d, it seems to run okay as long as you can handle
      the slight pause thatgoes with loading up a big collection. I
      previously ran it on an Epia 5000 based system and the performance
      drop is noticeable (500MHz to 266MHz - understandable I guess) but not
      intolerable given that I was trying to reduce the amount of power I
      was drawing.

      If you do decide to go Debian the instructions here [2] worked
      flawlessly for me with one exception that got my pulse up a beat or
      two, but was eventually overcome without tears. Basically I got all
      the way through the installation and one package complained to the
      effect it could not install due to errors; I simply backtracked and
      re-ran the software installation component and it installed without
      issue the second time around.

      (sean from HantsLUG, or is it HantSLUG?)

      [1] Swiki Swiki
      [2] http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic