6600Re: What maximum disk size is supported by the NSLU2?

  • batteriesinc00
    Jul 25, 2007
      My current setup I am using 2 maxtor SATA 500GB drives.
      My setup:
      Drives:
      Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
      Cases:
      AZiO ENC311SU31 3.5" eSATA + USB 2.0 External Enclosure

      unslung6.8
      USB port #2 has my natively formatted EXT3 500GB drive
      USB port #1 i have a hub on with the other 500GB FAT
      I have plugged in other FAT usb drives in the hub and mounted them
      without problems

      when it gets hot in the house (no A/C) the nslu2 will drop all the
      lights except the network status, i believe this is due to the hard
      drives getting excessively hot, and not the nslu2. if i blow air over
      the drives when i know inside temperature of the house is going to be
      over 85F it will run 24/7 accessing the drives continuously. can't
      tell if it is the enclosures or the drives, then noise of the small
      fan doesn't bother me.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/KnownProblems
      this calls out problems formatting drives larger then 250GB, which i
      did not have any, the FAT drive i formatted in linux, and the EXT3
      root drive i let the NSLU2 format.
      i was a bit unsettled when i took the plung and got 2 500GB drives
      after seeing the known problems. i haven't seen any other people
      mention they are using this large of drives, with a hub, on
      unslung6.8.. i'd be interested to see if any others reply to your
      question myself.

      one thing i do notice is it sure takes quite a while to pull the
      directory listing off these drives over the network.. i can't expect
      this device to handle like a powerful server, so i deal with the
      limitations, a 250GB or 320GB wouldn't take as long i'd think
      hope this helps..

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Matthias Teege
      <matthias-nslu2gen@...> wrote:

      > Moin,
      >
      > I've bought a NSLU2 and now I'm looking for a good disk. The Linksys
      > Support tells me, that the NSLU2 supports only 250GB per disk. Is this
      > true? Kann anyone recommend a disk bigger than that which works on the
      > NSLU2. I'm looking vor a 320GB or 500GB disk.
      >
      > Many thanks
      > Matthias

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic