6491Re: Upgrading to Unslung 6.8...

  • bty597733
    Jun 23 4:19 PM
      Mike,

      Thank you very much for your response, you have given me much to
      think about. I'll probably stick with 5.5. of unslung and get the
      new drive working with my current set-up.... and thanks for the ssh
      info, something I definatly need to do.

      Many thanks, Jason.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)"
      <mwester@...> wrote:

      > > I have purchased a second Maxtor hard disk, a Kingston 4gb
      > > DataTraveller USB2 key, and a Trust 4 port USB2 hub (HU-4440P),
      and
      > > envision the following set-up.
      >
      > > - Clean installation of Unslung 6.8 to usb key on port 2
      > > - USB Hub on port 1 servicing both Maxtor hard disks formatted as
      > > NTFS
      > > - Scheduled backup between these two hard disks
      >
      > The NTFS driver (proprietary binary-only driver provided by
      Linksys) is
      > buggy, and will (not "may") crash your NLSU2 often. The built-in
      backup
      > mechanism doesn't work correctly on Linksys R63 firmware (and
      hence on
      > Unslung either), but more importantly it won't backup NTFS
      drives. You
      > would do far, far better to use dual native drives, one on each of
      USB ports
      > 1 and 2. Relatively simple modifications to the Linksys backup
      script can
      > then enable that to function as one would expect.
      >
      > > - Ftp access to my NSLU2 (really need to be able to upload files
      > > from the internet)
      >
      > The R63 firmware includes a built-in FTP server; (google "bftpd"
      to find
      > docs on that server). Based on the extraordinarily painful
      experiences
      > suffered by so many users who attempt to install and configure
      vsftpd or
      > proftpd, you should take a very hard look at using the built-in
      server
      > before you attempt to use the other solutions. In either case,
      make sure
      > that you have openssh installed (for when xinetd kills your telnet
      daemon,
      > and access via telnet fails).
      >
      > > - Simple web site running on the NSLU2
      >
      > This is the second-most-likely thing (right behind attempting to
      get vsftpd
      > or proftpd running on Unslung) to totally mess up an Unslung
      installation to
      > the point where one ends up re-installing from flash! Quite do-
      able, but
      > make sure that you have openssh installed, in case something goes
      awry and
      > you cannot get to the web interface to enable telnet.
      >
      > > However, my work has decided to block all but
      > > the standard ports so I need to find a way of accessing both of
      > > these devices through port 80 (could I do this via a web site
      > > running on my NSLU2?).
      >
      > No, not via a web site -- this would be best done via ssh
      tunnelling.
      > Install openssh, and check the documentation on your SSH client
      (if you
      > don't have one, I recommend PuTTY). This allows you to to fire up
      your SSH
      > client at work on your local machine, log in to your NSLU2 via a
      secure and
      > encrypted connection, and then use that connection to tunnel ports
      on your
      > local machine to emerge from the NSLU2. Thus, pointing a browser
      to (for
      > example) "localhost:81" might result in your browser connecting to
      a web
      > server on your LAN at home -- said web server would see the
      session as
      > originating from the NSLU2, while at work, the network would only
      see your
      > web browser connecting to the machine that was running the client
      end... and
      > they might notice that the SSH connection (which can be moved from
      the
      > default port to any other port you like if they block the normal
      SSH port
      > for some reason) is carrying a bit more traffic than a fast typist
      might
      > normally generate. :)
      >

      > Good luck!
      >
      > Mike (mwester)
      >

      > P.S. Did I mention that I highly recommend installing openssh?

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic