6466Re: [nslu2-general] Upgrading to Unslung 6.8...

  • Mike (mwester)
    Jun 17, 2007
      > I have purchased a second Maxtor hard disk, a Kingston 4gb
      > DataTraveller USB2 key, and a Trust 4 port USB2 hub (HU-4440P), and
      > envision the following set-up.

      > - Clean installation of Unslung 6.8 to usb key on port 2
      > - USB Hub on port 1 servicing both Maxtor hard disks formatted as
      > NTFS
      > - Scheduled backup between these two hard disks

      The NTFS driver (proprietary binary-only driver provided by Linksys) is
      buggy, and will (not "may") crash your NLSU2 often. The built-in backup
      mechanism doesn't work correctly on Linksys R63 firmware (and hence on
      Unslung either), but more importantly it won't backup NTFS drives. You
      would do far, far better to use dual native drives, one on each of USB ports
      1 and 2. Relatively simple modifications to the Linksys backup script can
      then enable that to function as one would expect.

      > - Ftp access to my NSLU2 (really need to be able to upload files
      > from the internet)

      The R63 firmware includes a built-in FTP server; (google "bftpd" to find
      docs on that server). Based on the extraordinarily painful experiences
      suffered by so many users who attempt to install and configure vsftpd or
      proftpd, you should take a very hard look at using the built-in server
      before you attempt to use the other solutions. In either case, make sure
      that you have openssh installed (for when xinetd kills your telnet daemon,
      and access via telnet fails).

      > - Simple web site running on the NSLU2

      This is the second-most-likely thing (right behind attempting to get vsftpd
      or proftpd running on Unslung) to totally mess up an Unslung installation to
      the point where one ends up re-installing from flash! Quite do-able, but
      make sure that you have openssh installed, in case something goes awry and
      you cannot get to the web interface to enable telnet.

      > However, my work has decided to block all but
      > the standard ports so I need to find a way of accessing both of
      > these devices through port 80 (could I do this via a web site
      > running on my NSLU2?).

      No, not via a web site -- this would be best done via ssh tunnelling.
      Install openssh, and check the documentation on your SSH client (if you
      don't have one, I recommend PuTTY). This allows you to to fire up your SSH
      client at work on your local machine, log in to your NSLU2 via a secure and
      encrypted connection, and then use that connection to tunnel ports on your
      local machine to emerge from the NSLU2. Thus, pointing a browser to (for
      example) "localhost:81" might result in your browser connecting to a web
      server on your LAN at home -- said web server would see the session as
      originating from the NSLU2, while at work, the network would only see your
      web browser connecting to the machine that was running the client end... and
      they might notice that the SSH connection (which can be moved from the
      default port to any other port you like if they block the normal SSH port
      for some reason) is carrying a bit more traffic than a fast typist might
      normally generate. :)

      Good luck!

      Mike (mwester)

      P.S. Did I mention that I highly recommend installing openssh?
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic