6326Re: Printer initialization problem

  • Paul Pearman
    May 1, 2007
      I had a similar issue - there are two things you need to check.
      Fistly you need to add the IP address (or entire sub-net) to the
      admin section in cupsd.conf I set mine for

      Allow From 192.168.0.*

      The next issue I had was Internet Explorer 7 (Firefox is not a
      problem) not allowing me to connect to https sites - but all you need
      to do is set https://slug (or whatever yours is called) to be part of
      the local network (security settings). Then you can accept the
      certificate and you should be able to administer the printer. I
      notice you are using OSX and I don't know how Safari deals with this.
      I haven't had time to try out OSX on my system yet.

      I have my system working OK, the only issue I have is that I can only
      administer my printer when I login as "root" - and I'd like to let my
      wife restart the printer when I'm not around without having to tell
      her the root password. - If anyone has any ideas on that i'd be
      interested.

      I hope this helps

      Paul

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
      <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

      > I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
      > protocol: IPP
      > address: ip.addres:631
      > queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)
      >
      > The only thing that isn't working now is access to the
      administration
      > portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
      > (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed all
      > of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can
      cancel
      > jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?
      >
      > cheers,
      > J.
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
      > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have been
      > > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
      > > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
      > > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
      > > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
      backward
      > > slashes, with and without "http:"...
      > >
      > > Any help would be apprecaited.
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > J.
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      > > <i.b.arnesen@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I
      guess
      > > > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet - getting
      > > Mac Mini
      > > > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas
      eve)? I'm
      > > running
      > > > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
      > > version 5 of
      > > > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run cups-
      lpd as
      > > > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should
      > not have
      > > > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version
      6 it
      > > will be
      > > > gone.
      > > >
      > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
      > > >
      > > > service printer
      > > > {
      > > > socket_type = stream
      > > > protocol = tcp
      > > > wait = no
      > > > user = lp
      > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
      > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
      > > > disable = no
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
      > > "user=root" if
      > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
      > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
      it can)?
      > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up
      the /var
      > > ramfs and
> [...]
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic