6325Re: Printer initialization problem

  • juggler_munier
    Apr 28, 2007
      I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
      protocol: IPP
      address: ip.addres:631
      queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)

      The only thing that isn't working now is access to the administration
      portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
      (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed all
      of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can cancel
      jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?

      cheers,
      J.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
      <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

      > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have been
      > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
      > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
      > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
      > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and backward
      > slashes, with and without "http:"...
      >
      > Any help would be apprecaited.
      >
      > cheers,
      > J.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      > <i.b.arnesen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I guess
      > > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet - getting a
      > Mac Mini
      > > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas eve)? I'm
      > running
      > > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
      > version 5 of
      > > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run cups-lpd as
      > > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should
      not have
      > > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version 6 it
      > will be
      > > gone.
      > >
      > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
      > >
      > > service printer
      > > {
      > > socket_type = stream
      > > protocol = tcp
      > > wait = no
      > > user = lp
      > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
      > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
      > > disable = no
      > > }
      > >
      > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
      > "user=root" if
      > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
      > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say it can)?
      > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up the /var
      > ramfs and
      > > make the slug go comatose on you.
      > >
      > > best,
      > >
      > > -- Inge