5576Re: [nslu2-general] downgrading cpio package

  • Ernest Hymel, MD, PhD
    Nov 30, 2006
      Bless you. All is working again after your suggestion. Good to know
      about the default version of cpio.

      Is this a bug with cpio 2.6? Looks that way, but I'm not sure who to
      report it to.

      EH

      Quoting Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...> from Thu 30 Nov 2006
      11:44:03 AM CST:

      > In message <20061129231358.33sb36tnq8kos8k8@group.e-medico.com>, "Ernest
      > Hymel, MD, PhD" <ehymel@...> writes
      >> Hi all,
      >>
      >> Today I made the mistake of running "ipkg upgrade" on a system that
      >> was working perfectly well. For many months I have been using rsync
      >> and several custom scripts to back up a server in my home. One of
      >> these scripts uses the cpio command. Today's "upgrade" changed my cpio
      >> version from 2.5 to 2.6 (I think that's the old version). This has now
      >> broken my backup routine, in that cpio now complains about symbolic
      >> links that point to non-existent targets. It would appear that cpio
      >> now checks for the existence of the target of the soft link, and if it
      >> doesn't exist then I get a "No such file or directory" error.
      >>
      >> I would like to downgrade cpio to the previous version. I have found
      >> the .ipk file for version 2.5, but I can't seem to get ipkg to install
      >> it without automatically upgrading to version 2.6:
      >>
      >> //LKG0F90FA# ipkg remove cpio
      >> Removing package cpio from root...
      >> //LKG0F90FA# ipkg install
      >> http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/cpio_2.5-2_armeb.ipk
      >> Downloading
      >> http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/cpio_2.5-2_armeb.ipk
      >> Installing cpio (2.6-3) to root...
      >> Downloading
      >> http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/cpio_2.6-3_armeb.ipk
      >> Configuring cpio
      >>
      >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      >>
      > Not the same problem as your but I think that something is broken here.
      > Theoretically I also have the optware cpio version 2.6-3 loaded but when
      > I do either cpio --version or /opt/bin/cpio --version it returns
      > version. I have no version 2.6 on my NSLU2 ??.
      >

      > To correct your problem firstly un-install using ipkg remove cpio.
      > A backup of the default version 2.5 is stored in the flash ram so you
      > just need to copy it over to the correct folder. The following should
      > do this.
      >
      > cp -a /initrd/usr/bin/cpio /usr/bin/cpio
      > --
      > Robert Hammond
      > PGP:0x154144DA

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic