5389Re: Possible to install backuppc on nslu2?

  • Sean Carolan
    Nov 1, 2006
      > If you install perl and apache, you should just be able to try it out
      > (it's all just Perl scripts as far as I remember). If it works, then we
      > can look at packaging it.
      >
      > -- Rod

      Hi Rod:

      I found one other user on the web who managed to install backuppc, but
      he claimed that it ran too slow:

      http://guillaume.filion.org/blog/archives/2005/12/cpanpm_on_opens.php

      BackupPC can be somewhat memory hungry. The extra overhead seems to
      come from running perl, openssh, and possibly bzip2 all at the same
      time. I can see how it might overwhelm the nslu2's capabilities. I'm
      not sure at this point whether I am going to install OpenSlug or just
      Unslung, still trying to look at all the options.

      Also, I was curious how hard is it to compile something like ftpcopy
      with Unslung?

      http://www.ohse.de/uwe/ftpcopy/install.html

      This is definitely a package I would like to see in the repository,
      and would be willing to test it and help set it up. I have a few
      websites that I use ftpcopy to backup, so it would be a useful tool
      for me.

      thanks

      Sean
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic