3233Re: Change MAC address of NLSU2

  • fransmeulenbroeks
    Dec 5, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

      > Frans, I would tend to disagree here. Hardware routers don't give you
      > near as much control over firewalling and from what a friend has
      > described some brands let all kinds of crap into your network. As
      > long as he does a good job setting up the firewall and locking other
      > things down this should be a fine way to get around his ISP's nuttiness.

      Zhyla, I understand exactly what you say.
      Basically I would suggest to have a hw router as a first line of
      defence. How good it is depends of course on the router sw.
      Also when you want to config your nslu as router you need to add
      additional network ports (e.g. a usb ethernet adapter, or a wifi
      adapter if you want to go wireless). Still configuring the nslu for
      that is not straightforward, and you need to know exactly what you are
      doing in order to get it configured right.

      Probably it is better to get the linux router from linksys (forgot the
      type) and use that one, if you want router functionality.

      The original poster wanted to use his slug as a server and needed to
      change the MAC address because his ISP apparently tied his
      subscription to a specific MAC address.

      My comments were triggered by this. If, apart from the server, he
      wants to use the internet connection, he also requires routing

      Then again, I didn't know that such ISP's still exist. I think that in
      NL even chello/upc ceased doing this (as it does not allow people to
      connect e.g. an Xbox)

      Anyway, when it comes to protection I still feel 2 is better than 1.

      Best regards, Frans.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic