304Re: real time clock - still a problem??

  • vax2man
    Oct 13, 2004
      Take a look at Jim Buzbee's NSLU2 page at:

      http://www.batbox.org/nslu2-linux.html

      Look under the entry for 26 July 2004. Jim
      describes a method for adding a cron job to
      sync the system clock to the hardware clock.
      I've been using this for the past several weeks
      and it does a pretty good job of keeping the
      clock on my 'slug up to date. This seems to
      be a pretty good solution until an ntp client
      becomes available...

      Regards,

      John

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "sjwinick" <swinick@t...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "m0ul0udh0llyw00d"
      > <m0ul0udh0llyw00d@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "sjwinick" <swinick@t...>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > my nslu2 real time clock still runs very slow. many minutes
      > over
      > > > the course of an hour. i have the current R25 software.
      > otherwise
      > > > the unit runs without a problem
      > > >
      > > > i haven't seen any discussion postings on the subject. is this
      > > > continuing known problem or is my unit misbehaving? anyone know
      > > > fix?
      > > >
      > > > thanks
      > >
      > > In 3 days mine only "lost" 8minutes, not perfect but good to me ;
      > >
      > > The best thing would that the nslu2 features a ntp client so that
      > it
      > > could sync with my router
      >

      > agreed. NTP would be best and simple. i actually watched mine much
      > more carefully via the DATE command on a telnet connection and there
      > is definitely something strange happening. i set the clock using
      > the http interface, then repeatedly gave the DATE command on telnet
      > port after logging in. the unit properly was ticking off the
      > seconds. watched it for 20 min or so and all was fine. all of a
      > sudden, one of the DATE responses flipped back to the same starting
      > point that i had set the unit to 20 minutes before! it then started
      > keeping good time again. so now i know it isn't keeping slow time,
      > it's regularly jumping backward a chunk of time as though someone
      > were regularly resetting the time manually. hard to figure how mine
      > behaves differently from everyone else.
      >
      > thanks again for the response
      >
      > sjw
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic