235Re: [nslu2-general] Re: simple iTunes setup instructions?

  • Tim Lewis
    Oct 2, 2004
      danny15boy wrote:
      > Before trying your suggestion I decided to Unslung my NSLU2. As
      > far as I can tell it worked successfully. (I was able to get into
      > root during this process using the uNSLUng password, but that no
      > longer works after unslunging my disk drive.)

      Right, because Unslung uses the password that it finds on the drive.

      > Then I modified the config file as you suggested and uploaded it. (I
      > have no idea if /root exists since I can't Telnet in and look. :-)

      Well, from your login attempts, it appears /root doesn't exist.
      This shouldn't be a problem (i.e. you should still be able to log in).

      > Now on trying to Telnet in I get a slightly different response:
      > Linksys_NAS login: root
      > Password:
      > No directory, logging in with HOME=/
      >

      > Connection to host lost.

      This is strange, because at this point you should have a prompt.
      I modified my configuration to "/root" (which doesn't exist on
      my box), just to check, and it did give my a root prompt.

      > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, and how to Telnet in?

      What are you using to edit the file? You need to use an editor
      that preserves the UNIX line endings. I'm guessing that there's
      a Windows line ending in there screwing something up. Textpad
      (http://www.textpad.com) is an editor that will preserve the
      line endings.

      Probably the easiest solution if you don't have any files on the
      disk yet is to wipe the disk, and unsling it again. That way you
      can log in with the uNSLUng password and change the password on
      the box itself.

      However, if you have files on the drive, you can instead copy the
      default passwd file from unslung to your configuration, and
      log in with the uNSLUng password. To do this, boot the NSLU2 with
      just an empty flash drive attached. Since your hard drive isn't
      mounted, the unslung will boot with its default configuration.
      Now copy the /etc/passwd file to the flash drive with
      "cp /etc/passwd /share/flash/data". Now turn off the NSLU2, plug
      the flash drive into your computer copy the file to your
      configuration, and tar the configuration back up. Plug the drive
      back into your NSLU2, turn it on, and and install the configuration
      using the admin web pages. You should now be able to telnet into the
      box with the uNSLUng password. This method will wipe out any users
      you created, but will preserve your data. If you keep your old
      password file, you can restore the users with vi once you telnet
      into the NSLU2.

      Another way to modifiy the password is to mount the drive on
      a Linux machine and change the password there (i.e. the "classic"
      method). This is a little more difficult, but at least you don't
      have to worry about the line endings. If you don't have a Linux
      machine, you can use a "Live CD" like Knoppix to boot Linux
      without installing Linux on your hard drive. Assmuing that your
      drive is on /dev/sda (which is probably is with no other scsi, usb,
      or firewire drives plugged in), you'll see something like this from
      "fdisk -l /dev/sda".

      Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 24792 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

      Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sda1 1 24770 198964993+ 83 Linux
      /dev/sda2 24771 24785 120487+ 83 Linux
      /dev/sda3 24786 24792 56227+ 82 Linux swap

      The password file is on the second partition on the drive
      (i.e. the one that's about 113M, "/dev/sda2"). The first
      partition is your data and the third is swap. Simply mount
      the second partition, cd to the directory, and edit the passwd
      file.

      I hope this helps.

      - Tim
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic