1657Re: vsftpd

  • rst77469
    Jul 5, 2005
      Ryan

      I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I gave
      up and got proftpd to work...here's an except from my note if you go
      the proftpd route
      ----
      After giving up on vsftpd, I installed proftpd and it wouldn't work
      either. I tried to run proftpd as a standalone and that didn't work
      either.

      I finally traced this to an /opt/etc/inetd.conf file that still had the
      vsftpd config information in it (after I used ipkg remove vsftpd).

      "ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd
      /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf"

      which is created by the diversion script I added as in the vsfptd howto.

      when I created a new blank inetd.conf, proftpd worked fine

      As I noted I'm a linux newbie, but my guess is that the old line in the
      inetd.conf was consuming port 21 with the ftp command. After I cleared
      the inetd.conf file, proftpd works fine.
      -----
      I just wonder if the advice in the howto to make the diversion script
      has some error in it. Suggest you try deleting the diversion script
      and the inet.d file mentoned above and see if vsftpd works. I'd be
      interested because proftpd seems somewhat slugish in response.

      Best of luck

      Bob (fellow linux newbie).

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...> wrote:
      > This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
      > have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
      > exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
      > example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
      > socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would
      just
      > like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
      > assistance would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ryan
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic