1178Re: Some simple questions

  • ladeeda168
    May 15, 2005
      I understand what you're saying about security, but if I have a
      separate server, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the NSLU2?
      Couldn't I just set up shared files on the same web/ftp server? Or
      am I misreading what you recommended?

      Thanks!

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Computer Guy"

      general@yahoogroups.com]
      > On Behalf Of ladeeda168
      > Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 11:35 PM
      > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Some simple questions
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > I am concerned about #2 (sharing with people outside my
      network)...What
      > about all the people who run web servers off their NSLU2? How do
      they keep
      > from "being hacked?"
      >
      > All I wanna do is share photos and maybe a few other files with
      family and
      > friends...and I don't want to do it so they have to do it through
      an FTP
      > client.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli - tele2"
      > <jncharli@t...> wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > >

      > > 1) You should have assigned an Netbios Name to your NSLU2.
      > >
      > > All the shares you created will appear in « My Network place »
      > with the name
      > > of the NSLU2, and the name of the share.
      > >
      > > Note that if even if you haven't created any share, there should
      > be 2 lines
      > > by default :
      > >
      > > - admin1 on <NSLU2_Name_you_assigned>
      > \\<NSLU2_Name_you_assigned>\admin
      > > 1
      > >
      > > - disk 1 on <NSLU2_Name_you_assigned>
      > > \\<NSLU2_Name_you_assigned>\disk 1
      > >

      > > 2) Be careful that allowing the outside world to connect
      > your NSLU2
      > > means that everybody connected to Internet is able to try and
      hack
      > your
      > > files. This is a significant security concern that should be
      > raised.
      > >

      > > To be able to share a ressource from outside your network (you
      LAN
      > = Local
      > > Area Network), you must enable the `sharing protocol' (aka
      > Netbios) to cross
      > > your equipments (mainly your router).
      > >

      > > There are 3 steps to perform
      > >

      > > Step 0 : Check if your ISP doesn't block the Netbios ports
      > >

      > > Sometimes (more and more often), the ISP blocks the Netbios ports
      > for
      > > security reasons.
      > >
      > > You should check in the FAQ if your ISP blocks the Netbios
      ports.
      > If it the
      > > case (like for mine), there is no real solution, other than
      > changing your
      > > ISP.
      > >

      > > Step 1 : Allow the Netbios trafic to cross your router/firewall
      > >

      > > Currently, most of the router embedd a firewall. You then must
      > tell your
      > > firewall embedded in the router you want to enable Netbios in
      both
      > direction
      > > :
      > >
      > > TCP 137
      > >
      > > UDP 138
      > >
      > > TCP 139
      > >
      > > (sorry, there are maybe others, but here are the ports found in
      > books).
      > >

      > > Step 2 : Tell your router what equipment (IP adress) will be the
      > target of
      > > incoming Netbios trafic
      > >

      > > You must configure your router to set the NSLU2 to be the
      > destination of all
      > > incoming Netbios requests.
      > >
      > > There is a common mode called `DMZ mode' that can be used. In
      this
      > mode, all
      > > incoming requests (Netbios or not) are sent to a single IP
      adress.
      > This mode
      > > should be used for tests purposes.
      > >

      > > Hope it can help
      > >

      > > Greetings
      > >

      > > _____

      FTP
      > > component and just have someone type in my domain (which would
      > then be
      > > run off DynDNS)...
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >

      > > _____