1175Re: Some simple questions

  • ladeeda168
    May 15, 2005
      Thanks for your help.

      I am concerned about #2 (sharing with people outside my
      network)...What about all the people who run web servers off their
      NSLU2? How do they keep from "being hacked?"

      All I wanna do is share photos and maybe a few other files with
      family and friends...and I don't want to do it so they have to do it
      through an FTP client.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jncharli - tele2"
      <jncharli@t...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >

      > 1) You should have assigned an Netbios Name to your NSLU2.
      >
      > All the shares you created will appear in « My Network place »
      with the name
      > of the NSLU2, and the name of the share.
      >
      > Note that if even if you haven't created any share, there should
      be 2 lines
      > by default :
      >
      > - admin1 on <NSLU2_Name_you_assigned>
      \\<NSLU2_Name_you_assigned>\admin
      > 1
      >
      > - disk 1 on <NSLU2_Name_you_assigned>
      > \\<NSLU2_Name_you_assigned>\disk 1
      >

      > 2) Be careful that allowing the outside world to connect to
      your NSLU2
      > means that everybody connected to Internet is able to try and hack
      your
      > files. This is a significant security concern that should be
      raised.

      > To be able to share a ressource from outside your network (you LAN
      = Local
      > Area Network), you must enable the `sharing protocol' (aka
      Netbios) to cross
      > your equipments (mainly your router).
      >

      > There are 3 steps to perform
      >

      > Step 0 : Check if your ISP doesn't block the Netbios ports
      >

      > Sometimes (more and more often), the ISP blocks the Netbios ports
      for
      > security reasons.
      >
      > You should check in the FAQ if your ISP blocks the Netbios ports.
      If it the
      > case (like for mine), there is no real solution, other than
      changing your
      > ISP.
      >

      > Step 1 : Allow the Netbios trafic to cross your router/firewall
      >

      > Currently, most of the router embedd a firewall. You then must
      tell your
      > firewall embedded in the router you want to enable Netbios in both
      direction
      > :
      >
      > TCP 137
      >
      > UDP 138
      >
      > TCP 139
      >
      > (sorry, there are maybe others, but here are the ports found in
      books).

      > Step 2 : Tell your router what equipment (IP adress) will be the
      target of
      > incoming Netbios trafic
      >

      > You must configure your router to set the NSLU2 to be the
      destination of all
      > incoming Netbios requests.
      >
      > There is a common mode called `DMZ mode' that can be used. In this
      mode, all
      > incoming requests (Netbios or not) are sent to a single IP adress.
      This mode

      general@yahoogroups.com] De
      > la part de ladeeda168
      > Envoyé : samedi 14 mai 2005 08:39
      > À : nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      > Objet : [nslu2-general] Some simple questions
      >

      > I've been scouring the Wiki and this group for an answer, but
      don't
      > seem to be able to find what I need. I think these are very, very
      > basic questions:
      >
      > 1) How is the drive that is attached to the NSLU2 viewed from in-
      > network computers? Is it in "My Network Places?" I've tried
      looking
      > at the manual, but this simple question doesn't seem to be
      answered?

      > 2) How do people OUT of my network view files? Is there a way to
      do
      > this without starting up an ftp client? Like a webpage based
      > interface? Or something else? I would like to eliminate the FTP
      > component and just have someone type in my domain (which would
      then be
      > run off DynDNS)...
      >
      > Thanks!
      >

      > _____