With NserviceBus, what is the proper way to delay a message programatically

  • David Strickland
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 6:28 PM
      With NserviceBus, what is the proper way to delay a message programatically I have been working with NserviceBus for a couple of weeks now for which a company which I just started with a few weeks ago.

      I have been able to gut their entire message processing and replace it wth NserviceBus.   What a great tool?

      One of the special requests that I am pondering how I can delay the delivery of a message.

      So event command message needs to show up for processing 10 minutes from the time that it is put in the queue.

      Any advice would be appreciated,

      David Strickland
    • Larry
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1 6:31 PM
        Hey, Strick...
        'bout time you got on the bus.
        Larry Aultman

        --- In nservicebus@yahoogroups.com, David Strickland <david.strickland@...> wrote:

        > I have been working with NserviceBus for a couple of weeks now for which a
        > company which I just started with a few weeks ago.
        >
        > I have been able to gut their entire message processing and replace it wth
        > NserviceBus. What a great tool?
        >
        > One of the special requests that I am pondering how I can delay the delivery
        > of a message.
        >
        > So event command message needs to show up for processing 10 minutes from the
        > time that it is put in the queue.
        >
        > Any advice would be appreciated,
        >
        > David Strickland

      • Larry
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1 6:35 PM
          I don't know if it is the "proper" way to delay messages but I built a "event processor" that I send messages to that then "resends" them at a designated time to handlers. (I have been converting some batch processing stuff to the nServiceBus for about a year now.)
          Larry Aultman

          --- In nservicebus@yahoogroups.com, David Strickland <david.strickland@...> wrote:

          > I have been working with NserviceBus for a couple of weeks now for which a
          > company which I just started with a few weeks ago.
          >
          > I have been able to gut their entire message processing and replace it wth
          > NserviceBus. What a great tool?
          >
          > One of the special requests that I am pondering how I can delay the delivery
          > of a message.
          >
          > So event command message needs to show up for processing 10 minutes from the
          > time that it is put in the queue.
          >
          > Any advice would be appreciated,
          >
          > David Strickland

        • Larry Aultman
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1 6:53 PM
            I took a direct approach.  Since my clients's batch system's processing requirements are fairly lengthly I decided to send command messages to a server service that caches the messages on a SQL server store.  The service maintains an internal list of commands that are yet to be processed that have dependences on the batch processing system.

            I thought about using the Saga but didn't have time to learn it well enough to see if it would work for us.  I am just getting to a point in the project where I can go back and see where I can optimize on the bus stuff.

            That really doesn't answer your question I know but it certainly does work.
            Larry

            To: nservicebus@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1 7:03 PM
              Re: [nservicebus] With NserviceBus, what is the proper way to delay a message programatically
              In that last 10 weeks, I have re-written 3 1/2 calendar years of development.

              NSB has saved me a ton.  It was early to learn and wrap my head around after the first 8 days or so.

              Hope things are well with you and Shelley.

              Regards,
              David

              To: nservicebus@yahoogroups.com
              From: david.strickland@...
              Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 21:28:26 -0400

              I have been working with NserviceBus for a couple of weeks now for which a company which I just started with a few weeks ago.

              I have been able to gut their entire message processing and replace it wth NserviceBus.   What a great tool?

              One of the special requests that I am pondering how I can delay the delivery of a message.

              So event command message needs to show up for processing 10 minutes from the time that it is put in the queue.

              Any advice would be appreciated,

              David Strickland

              David Strickland | Founder & President
              Startup Rescue, Inc avoiding pitfalls in technology startups
              8014 Cumming Highway | Suite 403-353 | Canton, Georgia 30115
              www.startup-rescue.com | mobile  (404) 906-0803 |
              office  (678) 245-4628 | fax (425) 963-0803

              This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,  please notify the sender immediately by telephone (404) 906-0803, or by email and delete this message and all copies and backups thereof.  Thank you.

            • Larry Aultman
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1 7:08 PM
                Yes we are well, closing on a house in the next week or so.  Hope your family is well too.

                I know what you mean on re-coding.  I went in to this place "hired-gun" year later and we are re-developing their entire system - ground up.  The bus has saved me countless hours.

                I have a team of about 6 total - some that know the batch system and only two .NET coders.  These guys can't think any other way now that the have learned the bus.

                I keep trying to tell them to remember the bus isn't for everything - they sure try to make it that way though.
                Larry

                To: nservicebus@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5 10:43 PM

                  David,

                  You could try things like having a scheduled task in Windows wake up every 10 minutes and run your NServiceBus endpoint, but that wouldn't necessarily give you 10 minutes from the time the message was sent (is that actually the requirement?).

                  Alternatively, you can look at using sagas with the timeout manager to hold on to the message and then wake themselves up 10 minutes later to actually do the processing (or send a message to another endpoint for processing).

                  Also, it's great hearing how much NServiceBus is helping you out.

                  Hope that answers your question.

                  -- Udi Dahan