BROWN, James

  • keysie
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2009
      A few James Browns....

      ===========================
      NSARM Cumberland County death registrations
      Year: 1921 Book: 64 Page: 569
      Name: BROWN, James W
      DoB: 1921-08-13 Maccan, NS
      DoD: 1921-11-16 Maccan, NS
      Age: 0y 2m 2d
      Cause: bronchitis
      Occupation:
      Marital status: single
      Spouse:
      c/o: Oswald Brown (New Salem) & Anna Embree (Springhill)
      Burial: 1921-11-17 Maccan, NS
      Undertaker: F M Brown, Amherst, NS
      Informant: Oswald Brown, father, Maccan, NS
      [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
      ===========================
      ===========================
      NSARM Cumberland County death registrations
      Year: 1925 Book: 107 Page: 1340
      Name: BROWN, James
      DoB: 1943-11-02 NS
      DoD: 1925-12-22 Lower Cove, NS
      Age: 82y 1m 2d
      Cause: apoplexy/arteriosclerosis
      Occupation: farmer
      Marital status: married
      Spouse:
      c/o: Charles Brown (NS) & Mary Gilbert (NS)
      Burial: 1925-12-24 New Cemetery, River Hebert, NS
      Undertaker: A L Mills
      Informant: William Brown, son, Lower Cove, NS
      [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
      ===========================
      ===========================
      NSARM Colchester County death registrations
      Year: 1931 Book: 119 Page: 1547
      Name: BROWN, James E
      DoB: 1848-16-02 Cumb Co, NS
      DoD: 1931-10-21 Upper Economy, NS
      Age: 83y 8m
      Cause: pneumonia
      Occupation: farmer
      Marital status: married
      Spouse: Margaret E Brown
      c/o: John Brown (Springhill) & Mary Welch (Cumb Co)
      Burial: 1931-10-23 Bass River, NS
      Undertaker: G A Patriquin
      Informant: Margaret E Brown, wife, Upper Economy, NS
      [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
      ===========================
      ===========================
      NSARM Cumberland County death registrations
      Year: 1934 Book: 159 Page: 773
      Name: BROWN, James Alexander
      DoB: 1865-03-09 NS
      DoD: 1934-09-06 Advocate Hbr, NS
      Age: 69y 5m 28d
      Cause: "1933-12-09: accidental injuries resultingfrom falling
      twenty-five feet from wharf to deck of a vessel"
      Occupation: lumberman
      Marital status: married
      Spouse:
      c/o: Margaret McWhirter (NS)
      (father's name not given)
      Burial: 1934-09-08 Advocate Hbr, NS
      Undertaker: S R Canning, Advocate Hbr, NS
      Informant: Clayton Brown, son, Apple River, NS
      [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
    • James Welsh
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
        Eric,
        According to Clemm Larsen's note, the James Alexander Brown at the
        bottom -
        "This Brown family lived in East Apple River on the main road, just east
        of the Bear Creek Road. James was the son of Wesley and Margaret Brown,
        River Hebert."
        Should help someone. It took me a bit to find his father.

        Jim Welsh

        keysie wrote:

        > A few James Browns....
        >
        > ===========================
        > NSARM Cumberland County death registrations
        > Year: 1921 Book: 64 Page: 569
        > Name: BROWN, James W
        > DoB: 1921-08-13 Maccan, NS
        > DoD: 1921-11-16 Maccan, NS
        > Age: 0y 2m 2d
        > Cause: bronchitis
        > Occupation:
        > Marital status: single
        > Spouse:
        > c/o: Oswald Brown (New Salem) & Anna Embree (Springhill)
        > Burial: 1921-11-17 Maccan, NS
        > Undertaker: F M Brown, Amherst, NS
        > Informant: Oswald Brown, father, Maccan, NS
        > [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
        > ===========================
        > ===========================
        > NSARM Cumberland County death registrations
        > Year: 1925 Book: 107 Page: 1340
        > Name: BROWN, James
        > DoB: 1943-11-02 NS
        > DoD: 1925-12-22 Lower Cove, NS
        > Age: 82y 1m 2d
        > Cause: apoplexy/arteriosclerosis
        > Occupation: farmer
        > Marital status: married
        > Spouse:
        > c/o: Charles Brown (NS) & Mary Gilbert (NS)
        > Burial: 1925-12-24 New Cemetery, River Hebert, NS
        > Undertaker: A L Mills
        > Informant: William Brown, son, Lower Cove, NS
        > [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
        > ===========================
        > ===========================
        > NSARM Colchester County death registrations
        > Year: 1931 Book: 119 Page: 1547
        > Name: BROWN, James E
        > DoB: 1848-16-02 Cumb Co, NS
        > DoD: 1931-10-21 Upper Economy, NS
        > Age: 83y 8m
        > Cause: pneumonia
        > Occupation: farmer
        > Marital status: married
        > Spouse: Margaret E Brown
        > c/o: John Brown (Springhill) & Mary Welch (Cumb Co)
        > Burial: 1931-10-23 Bass River, NS
        > Undertaker: G A Patriquin
        > Informant: Margaret E Brown, wife, Upper Economy, NS
        > [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
        > ===========================
        > ===========================
        > NSARM Cumberland County death registrations
        > Year: 1934 Book: 159 Page: 773
        > Name: BROWN, James Alexander
        > DoB: 1865-03-09 NS
        > DoD: 1934-09-06 Advocate Hbr, NS
        > Age: 69y 5m 28d
        > Cause: "1933-12-09: accidental injuries resultingfrom falling
        > twenty-five feet from wharf to deck of a vessel"
        > Occupation: lumberman
        > Marital status: married
        > Spouse:
        > c/o: Margaret McWhirter (NS)
        > (father's name not given)
        > Burial: 1934-09-08 Advocate Hbr, NS
        > Undertaker: S R Canning, Advocate Hbr, NS
        > Informant: Clayton Brown, son, Apple River, NS
        > [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
      • Deborah & Bliss Brown
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
          Eric & Jim,

          I have tried for several years to identify the origin of Wesley Brown, father of James Alexander. I believe Wesley and Margaret to be married about 26 May 1863 in Parrsboro and I have four children listed for James A and his wife Carrie Elliott.
          The connecting dots have been elusive.

          John Brown, spouse Mary Welch and son James are new names to me; none exist within my extensive Brown listings.
          bliss

          keysie wrote:

          > A few James Browns....
          >
          > ===========================

          > NSARM Colchester County death registrations
          > Year: 1931 Book: 119 Page: 1547
          > Name: BROWN, James E
          > DoB: 1848-16-02 Cumb Co, NS
          > DoD: 1931-10-21 Upper Economy, NS
          > Age: 83y 8m
          > Cause: pneumonia
          > Occupation: farmer
          > Marital status: married
          > Spouse: Margaret E Brown
          > c/o: John Brown (Springhill) & Mary Welch (Cumb Co)
          > Burial: 1931-10-23 Bass River, NS
          > Undertaker: G A Patriquin
          > Informant: Margaret E Brown, wife, Upper Economy, NS
          > [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
          > ===========================
          > ===========================
          > NSARM Cumberland County death registrations
          > Year: 1934 Book: 159 Page: 773
          > Name: BROWN, James Alexander
          > DoB: 1865-03-09 NS
          > DoD: 1934-09-06 Advocate Hbr, NS
          > Age: 69y 5m 28d
          > Cause: "1933-12-09: accidental injuries resultingfrom falling
          > twenty-five feet from wharf to deck of a vessel"
          > Occupation: lumberman
          > Marital status: married
          > Spouse:
          > c/o: Margaret McWhirter (NS)
          > (father's name not given)
          > Burial: 1934-09-08 Advocate Hbr, NS
          > Undertaker: S R Canning, Advocate Hbr, NS
          > Informant: Clayton Brown, son, Apple River, NS
          > [collected by EMKeys 2009-08-13]
        • Greg Brown
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
            Like Bliss, I have nothing on John Brown and Mary Welch nor do I have any parents listed for Wesley Brown. Perhaps he is related to my elusive Hiram Brown who seems to appear in Parrsboro "out of the blue" although his son Amos when killed in the mines in Joggins in 1892 was listed as being from "Canaan".

            Greg

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
              My father, Russell (son of Oswald Brown and Anna Embree) also had another brother who died as a child- Delbert died 3 April 1923 and is believed to be buried in Maccan as well, although I have never found a grave for him or James W.

              Greg

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
                Bliss
                Could this be the family of James Brown and Mary Welch??

                1871 Census
                3122,MACCAN,69,BROWN,JOHN,,50,,W
                3122,MACCAN,69,BROWN,WILLIAM,,25,,
                3122,MACCAN,69,BROWN,MATILDA,,14,,
                3122,MACCAN,69,BROWN,JOSEPHINE,,13,,
                3122,MACCAN,69,BROWN,ANNEY,,11,,
                3122,MACCAN,69,BROWN,JOHN,,7,,

                1881 Census
                3401 MACCAN 125 BROWN ELIZABETH 44 M
                3401 MACCAN 125 BROWN JOHN 61 M
                3401 MACCAN 125 BROWN JOHN 17
                3401 MACCAN 125 BROWN JOSEPHINE 23

                1891 Census
                3119 MACCAN 119 BROWN ELIZABETH 57 M
                3119 MACCAN 119 BROWN JOHN 71 M
                3119 MACCAN 119 BROWN JOHN 27

                I have first wife name as Mary? and a later marriage to an Elizabeth. If so, I show James Edward Brown married to Margaret Ellen Ackles on 18 April 1877 and son Willard Russell Brown born 19 May 1899.

                Greg

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
                  Greg,

                  I believe this is the family of John George Brown and 1st wife Elizabeth Lavers (d 1868); 2nd wife, Elizabeth Ann Skidmore married 28 June 1872.

                  I have John George as son of William Brown and Mary Dobson.

                  One of these days we are going to identify the Canaan conection as I believe the only Browns in Canaan were the descendants of my Elijah.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
                    Greg,

                    Would your father's siblings total 7 including your Dad? I have Basil, Roy, Harold Russell, Doris, James and an infant in 1943. My data for the infant came from NS web site. Did not have Delbert.

                    bliss

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
                      Bliss
                      Yes, in total there were 7 including Dad. Family history has it that one of the children (either Delbert of James) died while sleeping with my grandmother. She would never talk about it and I don't ever remember her talking about any of the children that died. According to my late uncle Basil, the child born in 1943 was stillborn and he was buried in the cemetery in Athol by Uncle Basil, although the death record seems to indicate the child lived for a short period of time. The other possibility is that the stillborn child is an additional child.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                        Bliss
                        Something just occured to me. My Aunt Bea (who married Art Embree) told me that when her father's Mother and Father (Hiram Brown) died he had relatives in the River Hebert area by the name of Ray or Roy Brown. That any connection to your Canaan Brown's????

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                          Greg
                          Yes,yes,yes.... I have a Roy Therlo Brown b. 25 July 1887, son of James Brown and Matilda Stewart; James b. 05 August 1842 d. 22 December 1925, the son of Charles Samuel Brown and grandson of Elijah Brown/Henrietta Cannon.
                          As you know Hiram is a very common name within the line but previous review provided no connective links. Maybe another review is appropriate.

                          I do have four other Roy names but the one above is the best choice to fit the scenario.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 29, 2009
                            Bliss
                            I will have to try and find the old letter from Aunt Bea where she mentions Roy. Can't remember if she narrowed it down (ie, 1st cousin, etc). That may help us. Given the reference in Amos' obit to Canaan and the fact they had Brown cousins in River Hebert/Joggins there MUST be a connectionn here somewhere we are missing. I wonder if possibly my Hiram was named after Hiram Skidmore Brown??? I also remember her telling me that they had cousins in MA, but I am positive they were on the Daker (Dacre) side.