Re: [nscumber] alexander miller and minnie porter

  • keysie
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2008
      ===========================
      NSARM Cumberland Co marriage registrations
      Year: 1878 Book: 1809 Page: 159 Number: 85
      Groom: WHIRTON, Joseph, 23, b, engineer
      living Saint John, born Saint John
      s/o Charles & Catherine Whiston, ship master
      and
      Bride: PORTER, Minnie, 15, s
      living Spencer's Island, born Spencer's Island
      d/o Benjamin & Jane Porter, ship carpenter
      married 1878-08-11 at Parrsboro, NS
      before A E Jenks, David A Smith
      by Reverend J F Kempton, Baptist
      [collected by EMKeys 2008-06-08]
      ===========================
      The groom's surname appears to be written and, therefore, properly indexed as WHIRTON. - Eric

        +++++++++++++++++++

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2008
          thanks alot for the new information. i was just going by the death certificate on line that says buried at spencer,s island. hopefully the gass prices will go down abit so i can get down to cumberland county to check alot out. i only live 1 1/2 hours from maccan. i did hear spencer,s island is beautiful in the summer. AND I AM LOVING THIS SITE. cora

          Dolores Phinney <doloresphinney@...> wrote:
          There is also a cemetery behind The Spencer's Island Union Church which is well maintained.That may be a good place to check out.
          Dolores Phinney

          To: nscumber@yahoogroups.comFrom: davidwinter@...: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:01:38 -0300Subject: Re: [nscumber] alexander miller and minnie porter

          Cora:The 1904 marriage has them as both age 21.The 1905 marriage has Alex as age 44, b and Minnie as age 42, w. If you lookclosely at the NSARM scan of the book, there's the word "?? Affidavit"faintly written below the entry and before the next entry. May be a clue tosomething around an earlier marriage date for them.Daveon 6/8/08 8:15 PM, cora paul at corapaul2003@... wrote:thanks alot David. still trying to figure out it all. going to give my greataunt a call about their marriage date, for minnie and alexander, my greatgrandparents as the 1904 date is wrong, at least that is what i heard. stilltrying to find out where alexander died, lol. coradavid winter <davidwinter@...<mailto:davidwinter%40ns.sympatico.ca> > wrote: Cora:Minnie was listed as a "w" (widow) when she m/2 Alexander Miller in 1905.That's where I got Wheston/ Whiston. There's also a 1904 marriage with nodata as well.Daveon 6/8/08 11:54 AM, cora paul at
          corapaul2003@...<mailto:corapaul2003%40yahoo.ca> wrote:lol, just noticed you said a whinston. haven,t a clue about that one. coradavid winter <davidwinter@...<mailto:davidwinter%40ns.sympatico.ca><mailto:davidwinter%40ns.sympatico.ca> > wrote: Cora:Although the PORTER's are not a line I'm following, are these both the samelady?Both marriages are from the Cumberland Marriage Index.Were they living common law when you compare the 1901 Census to the 1905marriage? Or, are these children from Minnie's m/1 and should beWhiston/Wheston not Miller?I may be mistaken but most Spencer's Island deaths were buried at Advocate.There is an abandoned overgrown "Catholic" Cemetery in Spencer's Island I'maware of though which contains/contained 3 headstones.Dave+++++++++++++++++++WHISTON JOSEPH 23 S ST JOHN ST JOHN CHARLES CATHERINE11 Aug 1878 Cumberland County, N.S.PORTER MINNIE 15 S SPENCER'S ISLAND SPENCER'S ISLAND BENJAMIN JANE 625MILLER ALEXANDER 44 S JOGGINS MINES
          MUSQUODOBOITWILLIAM SARAH 13 Oct 1905 Cumberland County, N.S.WHESTON MINNIE 42 W JOGGINS MINES SPENCER'S ISLANDBENJAMIN MARY (PORTER) 6251901 Census of Joggin's Mines:27 30 Miller Alexander M Head M Nov 9 1859 4228 30 Miller Minnie F Wife M Sep 12 1863 3829 30 Miller Eudivilla F Daughter S Oct 29 1883 1730 30 Miller Charles B. M Son S Jan 30 1886 1531 30 Miller Wm S. M Son S Jul 27 1889 1232 30 Miller James O. M Son S Apr 3 1892 933 30 Miller George C. M Son S Dec 13 1894 634 30 Miller Fred A. M Son S Oct 20 1898 2++++++++++++++++++++++++++on 6/8/08 2:12 AM, cora paul at corapaul2003@...<mailto:corapaul2003%40yahoo.ca><mailto:corapaul2003%40yahoo.ca> wrote:hi again. i am loving this site. i am interested in finding out the parentsof minnie porter married to alexander miller. alexander was born November09, 1859, Adovace ? and minnie was born September 12, 1863, both taken fromcensus. minnie died November 10, 1908 in Joggins Mines, buried at Spencer,sIsland. heard that
          alexander moved to New Brunswick , remarried and proballydied there. does any one have this information? also, does any one havepictures of headstones at Spencer,s Island? would love to have a picture ofmy great great grandmother,s grave- minnie. thank you, coraCora Paul21 Court StreetRichibucto, NBE4W 3Y1---------------------------------Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web andbookmark your favourite sites. Download it now![Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]Cora Paul21 Court StreetRichibucto, NBE4W 3Y1---------------------------------Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email theboot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]Cora Paul21 Court StreetRichibucto, NBE4W 3Y1---------------------------------All new Yahoo! Mail - Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy
          readingpane.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          Cora Paul
          21 Court Street
          Richibucto, NB
          E4W 3Y1

        • Read Allen
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
            Cora,

            I believe Minnie Miller is buried in the Advocate Cemetery. According to the Wells Foundation's Inventory of Grave Markers. There is a headstone containing the following names

            Alexander Miller

            James Miller

            Minnie Miller

            Nearby are headstones for a W. H. Porter and a Rufus Porter.

            Note the names appearing on the headstones may not actually be buried there. for example a headstone might say John Smith 1888 - 1902 son of James and Anna Smith would show listings for John, James and Ann although only John is buried there.

            I do not appear to have a picture of any of these headstones but have a few more which I have not yet catalogued.

            The cemetery is very large so if you get there look for a marker (metal can) sunk into the ground on the right hand side of the main driveway near the top of the hill. Just before you reach the metal can there is a gravestone of Pleaman Harold Morris close to the driveway. To the right of that (further back down the hill) is the grave marker for Loretta J. Knowlton w/o Captain E. Knowlton and for their daughter Cora. The Miller and Porter headstones are located behind the Knowlton headstone. I do have a photo of the Knowlton headstone. If the photo is useful please contact me off the message board and I can send you a copy.

            There are also other Porter headstones in other parts of the cemetery

            Read Allen

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
                --- In nscumber@yahoogroups.com, cora paul <corapaul2003@...> wrote:

                > thanks for so much information. i will also contact you at your own
                email. thanks again. cora

                > Read Allen <readallen@...> wrote: Cora,
                >
                > I believe Minnie Miller is buried in the Advocate Cemetery.
                According to the Wells Foundation's Inventory of Grave Markers. There
                is a headstone containing the following names

                > Alexander Miller
                >
                > James Miller
                >
                > Minnie Miller
                >
                > Nearby are headstones for a W. H. Porter and a Rufus Porter.
                >
                > Note the names appearing on the headstones may not actually be
                buried there. for example a headstone might say John Smith 1888 -
                1902 son of James and Anna Smith would show listings for John, James
                and Ann although only John is buried there.

                > I do not appear to have a picture of any of these headstones but
                have a few more which I have not yet catalogued.

                > The cemetery is very large so if you get there look for a marker
                (metal can) sunk into the ground on the right hand side of the main
                driveway near the top of the hill. Just before you reach the metal
                can there is a gravestone of Pleaman Harold Morris close to the
                driveway. To the right of that (further back down the hill) is the
                grave marker for Loretta J. Knowlton w/o Captain E. Knowlton and for
                their daughter Cora. The Miller and Porter headstones are located
                behind the Knowlton headstone. I do have a photo of the Knowlton
                headstone. If the photo is useful please contact me off the message
                board and I can send you a copy.

                > There are also other Porter headstones in other parts of the
                cemetery

                > Read Allen

                0300Subject: Re: [nscumber] alexander miller and minnie porter

> [...]
                havepictures of headstones at Spencer,s Island? would love to have a
                picture ofmy great great grandmother,s grave- minnie. thank you,
                coraCora Paul21 Court StreetRichibucto, NBE4W 3Y1---------------------
                ------------Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web
                andbookmark your favourite sites. Download it now![Non-text portions
                of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message
                have been removed]Cora Paul21 Court StreetRichibucto, NBE4W 3Y1-------

                > Cora Paul
                > 21 Court Street
                > Richibucto, NB
                > E4W 3Y1

                > Cora Paul
                > 21 Court Street
                > Richibucto, NB
                > E4W 3Y1

                >Hi, does anyone know who William Miller and Sarah , parents of the
                above Alexander Miller and Sarah ? were and where they are buried? i
                read the Thomas Miller book enough times and still cannot connect. I
                do know Alexander was born in Musquodoboit, but that is all i have,
                no sibblings or anything. Help. Cora
              • corapaul2003
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
                  --- In nscumber@yahoogroups.com, "corapaul2003" <corapaul2003@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In nscumber@yahoogroups.com, cora paul <corapaul2003@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > thanks for so much information. i will also contact you at your
                  own
                  > email. thanks again. cora
                  > >
                  > > Read Allen <readallen@> wrote: Cora,
                  > >
                  > > I believe Minnie Miller is buried in the Advocate Cemetery.
                  > According to the Wells Foundation's Inventory of Grave Markers.
                  There
                  > is a headstone containing the following names
                  > >
                  > > Alexander Miller
                  > >
                  > > James Miller
                  > >
                  > > Minnie Miller
                  > >
                  > > Nearby are headstones for a W. H. Porter and a Rufus Porter.
                  > >
                  > > Note the names appearing on the headstones may not actually be
                  > buried there. for example a headstone might say John Smith 1888 -
                  > 1902 son of James and Anna Smith would show listings for John,
                  James
                  > and Ann although only John is buried there.
                  > >
                  > > I do not appear to have a picture of any of these headstones but
                  > have a few more which I have not yet catalogued.
                  > >
                  > > The cemetery is very large so if you get there look for a marker
                  > (metal can) sunk into the ground on the right hand side of the main
                  > driveway near the top of the hill. Just before you reach the metal
                  > can there is a gravestone of Pleaman Harold Morris close to the
                  > driveway. To the right of that (further back down the hill) is the
                  > grave marker for Loretta J. Knowlton w/o Captain E. Knowlton and
                  for
                  > their daughter Cora. The Miller and Porter headstones are located
                  > behind the Knowlton headstone. I do have a photo of the Knowlton
                  > headstone. If the photo is useful please contact me off the message
                  > board and I can send you a copy.
                  > >
                  > > There are also other Porter headstones in other parts of the
                  > cemetery
                  > >
                  > > Read Allen

                  Hi again. i meant Alexander Miller son of Alexander Miller and Sara ?
                  Cora