Re: [nsb-appstudio] setting button properties?

  • nicoftime001
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2012
      i see the other button available under the jqwidgets heading, but the button i used, that i can't get to work, is drag-dropped from the basic toolbox.

      --- In nsbasic-app@yahoogroups.com, "George Henne" <gh@...> wrote:

      > If it is q jQuery Mobile button, there is no easy way to do this.
      >
      > >hi, folks.
      > >
      > >i put a standard button on a form. button caption / title will change
      > >programmatically.
      > >
      > >i've tried setting the initial value through:
      > >
      > >button1.value = "START"
      > >
      > >...or...
      > >
      > >button1.style.content = "START"
      > >
      > >...but nothing seems to work.
      > >
      > >what's the correct syntax / command / statement for doing this? do i
      > >have to set some other properties first?
      > >
      > >thanks...

    • George Henne
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
        You're using the right button. However, there is no easy way to change the value on a jQM button.

        >i see the other button available under the jqwidgets heading, but the
        >button i used, that i can't get to work, is drag-dropped from the basic
        >toolbox.
        >
        >--- In nsbasic-app@yahoogroups.com, "George Henne" <gh@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> If it is q jQuery Mobile button, there is no easy way to do this.
        >>
        >> >hi, folks.
        >> >
        >> >i put a standard button on a form. button caption / title will change
        >> >programmatically.
        >> >
        >> >i've tried setting the initial value through:
        >> >
        >> >button1.value = "START"
        >> >
        >> >...or...
        >> >
        >> >button1.style.content = "START"
        >> >
        >> >...but nothing seems to work.
        >> >
        >> >what's the correct syntax / command / statement for doing this? do i
        >> >have to set some other properties first?
        >> >
        >> >thanks...

      • ConTheMaster
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
          I think I did it recently, but I'm on a long weekend holiday
          until Wednesday, so I'll post ASAP!

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 4 Jun 2012, at 13:07, "George Henne" <gh@...> wrote:

          You're using the right button. However, there is no easy way to change the value on a jQM button.

          >i see the other button available under the jqwidgets heading, but the
          >button i used, that i can't get to work, is drag-dropped from the basic
          >toolbox.
          >
          >--- In nsbasic-app@yahoogroups.com, "George Henne" <gh@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> If it is q jQuery Mobile button, there is no easy way to do this.
          >>
          >> >hi, folks.
          >> >
          >> >i put a standard button on a form. button caption / title will change
          >> >programmatically.
          >> >
          >> >i've tried setting the initial value through:
          >> >
          >> >button1.value = "START"
          >> >
          >> >...or...
          >> >
          >> >button1.style.content = "START"
          >> >
          >> >...but nothing seems to work.
          >> >
          >> >what's the correct syntax / command / statement for doing this? do i
          >> >have to set some other properties first?
          >> >
          >> >thanks...

        • Neil
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
            OK, feeling benevolent, so I fired up the work PC.

            TO change the text on a JQM button is VERY easy...if you know how..
            It's a bit tricky to crack it, because there's a weird SPACE left in the syntax. Without it, it doesn't work.
            So for Button6 here's my code:-

            Select Case localStorage.currstatus
              Case "2"
                $("#Button6 .ui-btn-text").text("Click Here When Arrived on Site")
              Case "5"
               $("#Button6 .ui-btn-text").text("Collecting-Click Here to Sign and Leave")
              Case "6"
               $("#Button6 .ui-btn-text").text("Delivering-Click Here to Sign and Complete")

            Case Else
            $("#Button6 .ui-btn-text").text("Click Here When Arrived on Site")
                End Select

            Et voila!
            :)
            Neil

            --- In nsbasic-app@yahoogroups.com, ConTheMaster <conthemaster@...> wrote:

            > I think I did it recently, but I'm on a long weekend holiday
            > until Wednesday, so I'll post ASAP!
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On 4 Jun 2012, at 13:07, "George Henne" <gh@...> wrote:
            >
            > > You're using the right button. However, there is no easy way to change the value on a jQM button.
            > >

            > > >i see the other button available under the jqwidgets heading, but the
            > > >button i used, that i can't get to work, is drag-dropped from the basic
            > > >toolbox.

          • Neil
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
              Again, please note the SPACE after the #Button6

              --- In nsbasic-app@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <conthemaster@...> wrote:

              > OK, feeling benevolent, so I fired up the work PC.
              >
              > TO change the text on a JQM button is VERY easy...if you know how..
              > It's a bit tricky to crack it, because there's a weird SPACE left in the syntax. Without it, it doesn't work.
              > So for Button6 here's my code:-
              >
              > Select Case localStorage.currstatus
              >   Case "2"
              >     $("#Button6 .ui-btn-text").text("Click Here When Arrived on Site")
              >   Case "5"
              >    $("#Button6 .ui-btn-text").text("Collecting-Click Here to Sign and Leave")
              >   Case "6"
              >    $("#Button6 .ui-btn-text").text("Delivering-Click Here to Sign and Complete")
              >
              > Case Else
              > $("#Button6 .ui-btn-text").text("Click Here When Arrived on Site")
              >     End Select
              >
              > Et voila!
              > :)
              > Neil
              >

              > --- In nsbasic-app@yahoogroups.com, ConTheMaster <conthemaster@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I think I did it recently, but I'm on a long weekend holiday
              > > until Wednesday, so I'll post ASAP!
              > >
              > > Sent from my iPhone
              > >
              > > On 4 Jun 2012, at 13:07, "George Henne" <gh@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > You're using the right button. However, there is no easy way to change the value on a jQM button.

            • George Henne
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
                Thanks, Neil!

                It's easy if you have a good knowledge of how jQuery Mobile works internally - otherwise, this solution is not obvious.

              • ConTheMaster
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
                  Absolutely! An hour of Googling and a bit of luck got that one for me, I think. I wish there was a definitive guide to JQM!

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • George Henne
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 4, 2012
                    My worry is that since this is not a documented (by jQuery) technique is that it could break in a future build.

                    Would it be possible for the original poster to have two or more buttons at the same size and position, then hide the ones not needed? That would be less likely to break in a future version of jQuery Mobile.

                    Please excuse brevity and typos. I'm on a mobile device.

                  • tombates427@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 21, 2012
                      BTW, this doesn't work in top level code. I placed it everywhere, to no effect. I've only seen it work in a button click event function.

                      So it looks like you can't preset your button captions in initialization code.

                      Tom

                    • George Henne
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 21, 2012
                        Correct - the control is not fully created at that point.

                        Put it in Sub Main() and you should be fine.

                      • tombates427@ymail.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 21, 2012
                          George,

                          Thank you so much for monitoring this group. That did the trick. I have another question which I'll post separately.

                          Tom