Re: SEs in tourism sector?

  • Don Barrie
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
      Just a quick note to thank all of the folks that responded via the
      npEnterprise listserv advising of social entrepreneurs in the tourism
      sector. I have been heartened by the many enterprises that exist. As a
      result, I have been able to begin building an impressive list of "real
      world" examples of many social enterprises connected with tourism.

      Thanks for the sharing of knowledge and resources!

      Regards, Don

      Don Barrie, Associate Faculty
      School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
      Royal Roads University
      Don.1Barrie@...
    • Emily Lutyens
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
        The tourism / social enterprise sector in Cambodia is quite advanced. I
        recently traveled there and checked out:

        Le Rit's in Phnom Penh - a guesthouse, restaurant and shop run by the NGO
        Nyemo who empower marginalised women through sewing coops and management of
        the restaurant / guest house

        Soria Moria hotel in Siem Reap- run by a Scandinavian couple but now 51%
        owned by employees I believe

        Friend's International - their most famous social enterprise is their
        restaurant in Siem Reap which is run by street kids who go through a 3 year
        training programme

        Keo k'jay - a fair trade clothing company

        Daughters of Cambodia - a shop selling jewellery, clothing, fabrics etc
        made by formally sexually exploited women.

        These are all great examples of social enterprises that allow a tourist to
        spend their money in a responsible way, supporting local communities.

        Cheers,

        Emily
        **

        Just a quick note to thank all of the folks that responded via the
        npEnterprise listserv advising of social entrepreneurs in the tourism
        sector. I have been heartened by the many enterprises that exist. As a
        result, I have been able to begin building an impressive list of "real
        world" examples of many social enterprises connected with tourism.

        Thanks for the sharing of knowledge and resources!

        Regards, Don

        Don Barrie, Associate Faculty
        School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
        Royal Roads University
        Don.1Barrie@...
      • Lindsay Miller
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
          You might want to include Andaman Discoveries <http://www.andamandiscoveries.com/> in your search. The organization grew out of tsunami relief efforts to help small communities rebuild and diversify their income after the 2004 tsunami which devastated many areas of the Andaman Coast in Thailand.

          The organization runs community-based tours through several villages, including home stay programs, cultural tours, ecological tours by local guides, and more. It's a fantastic organization leading the way in terms of community based tourism and using tourism as an effective tool for sustainable development.