Re: SEs in tourism sector?

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27 11:32 AM
      Here are some additional responses to the following question from Don Barrie:

      "Wondering if any of you know of examples of social enterprises in the tourism sector. I'm looking for examples and/or case studies that I might refer to in a social entrepreneurship course that I'm developing."

      Previous comments on this topic can be found at:

      (1) From Jack Scriven

      You may also find of interest:

      http://blueventures.org
      http://tribewanted.com

      (2) From Kirsti Inglis

      May also be interested in checking out the Inn and Laurel Point in Victoria BC which is also a social enterprise

      http://www.laurelpoint.com

      (3) From Steve landman

      Also basecamp is a social torism enterprise. [Editor's note: Basecamp Explorer Kenya at http://www.norfund.no/eastern-africa/basecamp-explorer-kenya-article229-319.html ]

      (4) From Carlos Chege

      See African Wildlife Foundation's conservation enterprise page. It has examples you can refer to.

      I work for AWF.

      http://www.awf.org/section/people/enterprise
    • Don Barrie
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28 10:56 AM
        Just a quick note to thank all of the folks that responded via the
        npEnterprise listserv advising of social entrepreneurs in the tourism
        sector. I have been heartened by the many enterprises that exist. As a
        result, I have been able to begin building an impressive list of "real
        world" examples of many social enterprises connected with tourism.

        Thanks for the sharing of knowledge and resources!

        Regards, Don

        Don Barrie, Associate Faculty
        School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
        Royal Roads University
        Don.1Barrie@...
      • Emily Lutyens
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28 1:00 PM
          The tourism / social enterprise sector in Cambodia is quite advanced. I
          recently traveled there and checked out:

          Le Rit's in Phnom Penh - a guesthouse, restaurant and shop run by the NGO
          Nyemo who empower marginalised women through sewing coops and management of
          the restaurant / guest house

          Soria Moria hotel in Siem Reap- run by a Scandinavian couple but now 51%
          owned by employees I believe

          Friend's International - their most famous social enterprise is their
          restaurant in Siem Reap which is run by street kids who go through a 3 year
          training programme

          Keo k'jay - a fair trade clothing company

          Daughters of Cambodia - a shop selling jewellery, clothing, fabrics etc
          made by formally sexually exploited women.

          These are all great examples of social enterprises that allow a tourist to
          spend their money in a responsible way, supporting local communities.

          Cheers,

          Emily
          **

          Just a quick note to thank all of the folks that responded via the
          npEnterprise listserv advising of social entrepreneurs in the tourism
          sector. I have been heartened by the many enterprises that exist. As a
          result, I have been able to begin building an impressive list of "real
          world" examples of many social enterprises connected with tourism.

          Thanks for the sharing of knowledge and resources!

          Regards, Don

          Don Barrie, Associate Faculty
          School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
          Royal Roads University
          Don.1Barrie@...
        • Lindsay Miller
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
            You might want to include Andaman Discoveries <http://www.andamandiscoveries.com/> in your search. The organization grew out of tsunami relief efforts to help small communities rebuild and diversify their income after the 2004 tsunami which devastated many areas of the Andaman Coast in Thailand.

            The organization runs community-based tours through several villages, including home stay programs, cultural tours, ecological tours by local guides, and more. It's a fantastic organization leading the way in terms of community based tourism and using tourism as an effective tool for sustainable development.