RE: business plan + funding

  • Raquel Santiago-Martinez
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 20, 2013
      Be sure to connect with the local Small Business Administration, the local Small Business Development Centers, which provide technical assistance to small businesses and aspiring entrepreneurs supporting business performance and sustainability and enhancing the creation of new businesses entities, or the local Senior Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE), a nonprofit association dedicated to helping small businesses get off the ground.

      They have been around for nearly fifty years, and their work is supported by the SBA, and a group of volunteers, so they are able to provide services at no charge or at a very low cost. Most of the SBDCs are located within a university system, which is another wonderful option available to them.

      Finally, if they are able to connect with a local graduate school of business, there are many students who need projects - including writing a business plan with projections - for their marketing or finance classes. Contact the Dean of the school and ask if you are able to connect with them. Have them put together financial projections - they will get credit, and you will get your projections.

      [Editor's note: here are the previous comments on this question:

      Raquel Santiago-Martinez
      Director, Strategic Initiatives

      Community Renewal Team Inc.
      Changing lives...Creating opportunity!
      555 Windsor Street Hartford, CT 06120-2418
      Tel (860) 560-5635 Fax (860) 560-5314
      santiagor@... www.crtct.org

      Message 2 of 21 , May 12 10:00 AM
        Do you have a social enterprise question?

        Posing your question to 10,000 of your peers can be a little daunting, but it's worth it. Requests posted to the npEnterprise Forum routinely result in several thoughtful responses that can provide you with valuable suggestions and networking opportunities.

        Do you have a question about:
        1) Whether you or your organization is ready to develop a social enterprise?
        2) The risks and rewards of starting a social enterprise?
        3) How to identify and select worthwhile venture ideas?
        4) How to conduct business research?
        5) How to write an effective business plan?
        6) How to secure funding for your venture?
        7) How to integrate business development into your daily management?
        8) Who is running a venture similar to yours?
        9) Something else related to starting or growing your venture
        activities?

        If so, please click "Reply" and ask your question. Change the subject line to reflect the nature of your question. By the way, we've noticed that short, specific questions tend to get the most responses.