Re: [npEnterprise] Re: SEs in tourism sector?

  • Shahida Saleem
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19 10:24 AM
      Please also add:

      http://www.loisiijolodgeshompole.org/ - Nairobi. The original Shampole lodge and the new lodges are all community owned and have won UN recognition for their impact.

      Kind Regards,
      Shahida Saleem

      "Never doubt that a group of committed citizens can change the world, indeed, it is the only thing that ever does" - Margaret Mead

      On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 3:30 AM, Rolfe Larson <Rolfe@...> wrote:
      Here are the responses to the following question from Don Barrie:

      "Wondering if any of you know of examples of social enterprises in the tourism sector. I'm looking for examples and/or case studies that I might refer to in a social entrepreneurship course that I'm developing."

      (1) There are a quite a few companies in the “voluntourism” space which can fit the definition of social enterprise – depending on what your definition is. With some, it may just be a cause marketing tool to get people to take the trip; others, it’s more of a deeply ingrained part of what the trip is all about. And since the direct efforts of the travelers are meant having an impact on the community they visit, I think you can make the case they fit in the social enterprise universe.

      At the same time, there’s been quite a bit of discussion in the media around the true impact that voluntourism has.

      Does Voluntourism Do More Harm Than Good? (Conde Nast Traveler)
      http://www.cntraveler.com/ecotourism/2013/02/volunteer-vacations-rewards-risks

      Beware the 'voluntourists' doing good (Guardian UK)
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/13/beware-voluntourists-doing-good

      What You Don't Know About Voluntourism
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rudayna-bahubeshi/the-problem-with-voluntourism_b_2712627.html

      Two companies that I’ve worked with are Road Monkey http://www.roadmonkey.com and Travel2Change http://www.travel2change.org and both are very committed to the work they do in the communities they visit.

      (2) From Magda Zawodny

      One of the best examples of social enterprise in Poland is hotel U pana Cogito in Krakow. They combine high quality accommodation and restaurant and create job  places for people dealing with schizophrenia

      http://www.pcogito.pl/

      Another example (similar founders as U pana Cogito) is Laboratorium Cogito, also hotel and catering services. http://www.zielonydol.pl/catering_cogito.html

      (3) From: Michelle Rock

      Our Community Action Agency piloted the Vermont Creates Project, a social and economic enterprise that focused on training and education designed to bring the low-to-moderate income Vermonter into the world of e-commerce.  Our training included instruction and training in how to turn a hobby into a business and then marketed and sold their product on a commission base. All proceeds allowed us to continue the project.   It took 5 years to get the grant funding and we excelled in all areas except sales.  Timing was everything and it was hit hard by the recession.  After 5 years Vermont Creates ended.  However, we expanding  the project to selling on e-bay and etsy and sold thousands of dollars of Vermont made products locally, nationally, and globally.

      (4) From Cameron Dubes

      Are you familiar with the Global Travel & Tourism Partnership, GTTP?   Led by Nancy Needham, a great leader and committed to global tourism education.   I am copying her here so you can be in touch directly.

      (5) From Jean Block

      Social Enterprise Ventures, LLC: Expedition and Road Trip programs. http://www.socialenterpriseventures.com

      (6) From Glen Newby

      Here is one I am developing: http://www.globalsocialtourism.ca .  Also looking for potential investors.

      ------------------------------------

      Social Impact App, the mobile map app that finds local retail SEs http://socialimpactapp.com
      Facebook page: please "like" and add comments/reviews: http://facebook.com/socialimpactapp
      Follow us on Twitter @socimpactapp

      SE Tax/Legal Info http://bit.ly/n4BqNZ (US nonprofit)
      Searchable npEnterprise archives http://bit.ly/hc7raG
      "How to" guide on starting an SE http://bit.ly/dWwZ0B

      Follow npE on Twitter http://bit.ly/rDB4ac or Facebook http://on.fb.me/vvyJ9B

      The npEnterprise Forum discusses practical steps social enterprises use to build capacity, mission impact, and financial sustainability through income-generating business activities.  This list is owned and edited by Rolfe Larson Associates LLC (www.RolfeLarson.com). The npEnterprise Forum is the official listserv partner of the Social Enterprise Alliance.

      Permission to redistribute this email is granted provided you include this paragraph.  We reserve the right to select messages for distribution, and to publish messages with attribution in other venues.  More information at http://bit.ly/hv5X1s , including how to subscribe and unsubscribe. Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          npEnterprise-digest@yahoogroups.com
          npEnterprise-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27 11:32 AM
        Here are some additional responses to the following question from Don Barrie:

        "Wondering if any of you know of examples of social enterprises in the tourism sector. I'm looking for examples and/or case studies that I might refer to in a social entrepreneurship course that I'm developing."

        Previous comments on this topic can be found at:

        (1) From Jack Scriven

        You may also find of interest:

        http://blueventures.org
        http://tribewanted.com

        (2) From Kirsti Inglis

        May also be interested in checking out the Inn and Laurel Point in Victoria BC which is also a social enterprise

        http://www.laurelpoint.com

        (3) From Steve landman

        Also basecamp is a social torism enterprise. [Editor's note: Basecamp Explorer Kenya at http://www.norfund.no/eastern-africa/basecamp-explorer-kenya-article229-319.html ]

        (4) From Carlos Chege

        See African Wildlife Foundation's conservation enterprise page. It has examples you can refer to.

        I work for AWF.

        http://www.awf.org/section/people/enterprise
      • Don Barrie
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28 10:56 AM
          Just a quick note to thank all of the folks that responded via the
          npEnterprise listserv advising of social entrepreneurs in the tourism
          sector. I have been heartened by the many enterprises that exist. As a
          result, I have been able to begin building an impressive list of "real
          world" examples of many social enterprises connected with tourism.

          Thanks for the sharing of knowledge and resources!

          Regards, Don

          Don Barrie, Associate Faculty
          School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
          Royal Roads University
          Don.1Barrie@...
        • Emily Lutyens
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28 1:00 PM
            The tourism / social enterprise sector in Cambodia is quite advanced. I
            recently traveled there and checked out:

            Le Rit's in Phnom Penh - a guesthouse, restaurant and shop run by the NGO
            Nyemo who empower marginalised women through sewing coops and management of
            the restaurant / guest house

            Soria Moria hotel in Siem Reap- run by a Scandinavian couple but now 51%
            owned by employees I believe

            Friend's International - their most famous social enterprise is their
            restaurant in Siem Reap which is run by street kids who go through a 3 year
            training programme

            Keo k'jay - a fair trade clothing company

            Daughters of Cambodia - a shop selling jewellery, clothing, fabrics etc
            made by formally sexually exploited women.

            These are all great examples of social enterprises that allow a tourist to
            spend their money in a responsible way, supporting local communities.

            Cheers,

            Emily
            **

            Just a quick note to thank all of the folks that responded via the
            npEnterprise listserv advising of social entrepreneurs in the tourism
            sector. I have been heartened by the many enterprises that exist. As a
            result, I have been able to begin building an impressive list of "real
            world" examples of many social enterprises connected with tourism.

            Thanks for the sharing of knowledge and resources!

            Regards, Don

            Don Barrie, Associate Faculty
            School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
            Royal Roads University
            Don.1Barrie@...
          • Lindsay Miller
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
              You might want to include Andaman Discoveries <http://www.andamandiscoveries.com/> in your search. The organization grew out of tsunami relief efforts to help small communities rebuild and diversify their income after the 2004 tsunami which devastated many areas of the Andaman Coast in Thailand.

              The organization runs community-based tours through several villages, including home stay programs, cultural tours, ecological tours by local guides, and more. It's a fantastic organization leading the way in terms of community based tourism and using tourism as an effective tool for sustainable development.