RE: Sourcing Start-up Capital for Nonprofit-led start-ups

  • Michelle Rock
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
      We opened a brick and mortar art /crafts shop to promote Vermont made products by low-income hobbyists and train them in how to turn their hobby into a business. Our first grant was submitted for about $750,000 to the Department of Health and Human Services for micro-enterprise development. It didn't fly but we kept applying and opened it with a $50,000 USDA grant. Timing is everything though and we lasted 5 years before the economy went in the tanker.

      Our thrift store was opened utilizing discretionary funding and a partnership with Economic Services to provide training to participants in the reach up program. Our 'Good Cents Store' has been operating for 15 years.

      In generating funding I believe there needs to be partnering and a training component around job creation to be successful.

      Good Luck.
      Michelle Rock
      Program Manager
      Economic & Workforce Development
      BROC - Community Action in Southwestern VT

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
        we get brand new clothing donated by a major label and generate 50 to 70,000 a year that goes back into youth centre for social enterprise and innovation

        Sent from my iPhone