Re: Sourcing Start-up Capital for Nonprofit-led start-ups

  • Tina Le
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
      WORN http://www.wornforpeace.com is a fashion business started by Catholic Charities and upon sharing their idea to start a business that sold scarves made by refugee women, several organizations (such as University of North Texas) immediately gave grants as start-up capital.

      You never know who will give you support until you ask.

      --On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 Dhyia Thompson wrote:---

      I'm looking for case studies, organizations with experience, or any examples of how a nonprofit organization generated start-up costs to open a clothing/fashion retail business. I'm specifically asking those organizations or individuals who have experienced raising $75-$200K in start-up capital for a social venture.

      Clothing or fashion retailers would be ideal, but I'm open to any brick and mortar examples available as well.
    • Michelle Rock
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
        We opened a brick and mortar art /crafts shop to promote Vermont made products by low-income hobbyists and train them in how to turn their hobby into a business. Our first grant was submitted for about $750,000 to the Department of Health and Human Services for micro-enterprise development. It didn't fly but we kept applying and opened it with a $50,000 USDA grant. Timing is everything though and we lasted 5 years before the economy went in the tanker.

        Our thrift store was opened utilizing discretionary funding and a partnership with Economic Services to provide training to participants in the reach up program. Our 'Good Cents Store' has been operating for 15 years.

        In generating funding I believe there needs to be partnering and a training component around job creation to be successful.

        Good Luck.
        Michelle Rock
        Program Manager
        Economic & Workforce Development
        BROC - Community Action in Southwestern VT

        I'm looking for case studies, organizations with experience, or any examples
        of how a nonprofit organization generated start-up costs to open a
        clothing/fashion retail business. I'm specifically asking those
        organizations or individuals who have experienced raising $75-$200K in
        start-up capital for a social venture.

        Clothing or fashion retailers would be ideal, but I'm open any brick and
        mortar example available as well.
      • Lynn Daly
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
          we get brand new clothing donated by a major label and generate 50 to 70,000 a year that goes back into youth centre for social enterprise and innovation

          Sent from my iPhone