Highlights 10.9

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2012
      Highlights is the monthly newsletter of the npEnterprise Forum, the online community with a combined circulation of more than 10,000 social enterprise
      managers and supporters.

      SOCIAL ENTERPRISE FOR NONPROFITS WORKSHOP
      LOS ANGELES, OCTOBER 22-23, 2012

      Presented by The Grantsmanship Center and the Center for Nonprofit Management -- $50 discount for SEA members.

      Get ahead of the curve! In this fast-paced, practical workshop, we show you how to plan, develop, finance, and grow an effective social enterprise program. Learn how to use social enterprise to strengthen your organization's mission. Build on your current activities, existing capabilities, and established stakeholder relationships. This training includes lots of Q&A, as well as hands-on work. You'll see tangible results at each step, culminating in market research on an earned income opportunity for your organization and a mini-business plan you'll create with a team of your peers.

      Trainer: Rolfe Larson, national author of Venture Forth!
      For more information: https://www.tgci.com/eis.shtml or call 213-482-9860.

      SOCIAL IMPACT APP CONTINUES TO GROW

      The new social enterprise "finder" app, Social Impact, released just 10 weeks ago, continues to gain visibility and users. Almost 3000 people from 34 countries have now downloaded this "smart phone" app, with the highest concentration of users in the US, Australia, Canada and the UK. Forbes, Huffington Post, and FastCompany have all published profiles recently, with a review from the Chronicle of Philanthropy expected soon.

      We are about to begin our second round of programming to develop v2.0, which will include a number of new features that will further improve functionality, access to social enterprises and the app's own sustainability. We'd like to add web and Android versions, so if you know of any programmers who could help develop those platforms with us, do let us know. While we can't pay much, we will pay for this assistance.

      Finally, if you've had a chance to use Social Impact, tell us about it! Just hit "reply" to this message. For more information about Social Impact, http://bit.ly/LKbEGZ

      NEWS FROM THE SOCIAL ENTERPRISE ALLIANCE

      On October 29-30, in Tampa Bay, SEA will be holding its third and final regional summit of the year. The Southeastern Summit will provide you with the opportunity to convene with 300 other social enterprise practitioners and advocates for 1.5 days of loaded with programming and tours. Hash out the challenges you'll likely encounter along the way with a panel of successful social enterprises. Pitch your social enterprise idea to a panel of expert judges led by Kevin Harrington of TV's Shark Tank. More information at: https://se-alliance.org/southeastern-regional-summit

      Secondly, SEA is pleased to announce the location of its 2013 National Summit! The 2013 National Summit will be hosted by the Twin Cities Chapter, and held May 19-22 at the MInneapolis Marriott City Center! More information at https://www.se-alliance.org/summit2013

      NOW IT'S YOUR TURN!

      Discussions in the npEnterprise Forum are made possible with your questions and comments. Why not take a few moments to send in a note? We'll be looking for you! Send your question to:

      npEnterprise@yahoogroups.com

      Be sure to send your email "from" the email address that currently subscribes to the npEnterprise Forum. Please note that there is sometimes a backlog of messages, so be sure to allow at least a week for your message to go out to the list, and another week or so for responses to be compiled.

      - Rolfe Larson, owner/editor, npEnterprise Forum