Re: Culinary Arts School with Restaurant?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2011
      Here are the responses to the following question from George Cladis:

      "We are researching what it would take to open a culinary arts school to train low-skilled individuals for chef/cook positions. We would like to network with others involved in similar workforce training programs and social entrepreneurial restaurants. We will have a restaurant attached to our school."

      (1) From Rachel Benziman

      A similar model has been operating in Israel for a number of years. One is a gourmet restaurant in Tel Aviv (big city, main business center of the country) where 10-15 youth in distress receive chef training. A similar model exists in Beer Sheva (a middle size town in the periphery of the country) where the youth also serve a waiters and waitresses. Both were originally started by two separate nonprofits working with youth in distress and, after encountering years of financial losses, were acquired by a social venture fund which now runs both projects as independent for profit social enterprises with professional input by the nonprofits.

      Below is the link to the website of the venture fund.

      http://bit.ly/w50FNY

      If you need any more information or contact please be in touch with me at rbenziman@...

      (2) From David H. Carleton

      Catalyst Kitchens is an organized collaborative of food service social enterprises providing training to individuals facing barriers to employment and meals to those in need. Many also operate retail locations and/or catering operations. Catalyst Kitchens offers assistance developing, implementing and growing food service enterprise/training model to meet local conditions and requirements.

      Find us at http://bit.ly/v542XA , and reach us at info@... .

      (3) From Jenny Huston

      I have worked on several projects with culinary training with cafe, restaurants, cafeterias, catering and other outside sales.

      Here are some of the programs I have worked with or on:

      Bay Area Community Services, Oakland, CA http://bit.ly/vMO8hr
      Catering and Contract Sales

      The Bread Project, Emeryville, CA http://bit.ly/vGiBty
      Outside Sales

      City College of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA http://bit.ly/rTBaos
      Restaurant, Cafe, Cafeteria

      The Doe Fund, Inc., NY, NY http://bit.ly/u3finu
      Cafeteria and Contract Sales

      Let me know (chefjennyhuston@...) if you would like to have a discussion…

      (4) From Paul Lamb

      Check out Homeward Bound of Marin’s Culinary Academy http://bit.ly/uMMkgp

      (5) From Rus Kinzinger

      I heartily recommend that you talk with Mr. Phil Newton, Executive Director of the Peoria, I, L South Side Mission. http://bit.ly/v3WUsW

      They have had great success in both training and subsequent placements of low income persons through a formal Culinary Arts offering. Phil is also a great guy! He can be reached at 309-676-4604.

      (6) From Susan Ruderman

      I think the Haley House Bakery Cafe might be similar to the model you envision. http://bit.ly/tH7Eo0

      Consider studying the vocational/technical high school networks also. Although aimed at high school-aged individuals rather than adults, there could still be some useful lessons there. For instance, Minuteman in Lexington runs a full culinary arts program and a training restaurant (Drum & Fife) open to the public.

      (7) From Richard Carlson

      You may want to look into the Culinary Institute of Michigan which is operated by Baker College in Muskegon, Michigan. Their web site is http://bit.ly/uWWuv1 . They have become a premier culinary program and one to look at.

      (8) From Gail Hamburg

      Inspiration Kitchen and Cafe Too train the homeless in their facilities and restaurant (food is great and very affordable) in 14 week programs and then place them in the hospitality and food service industry in Chicago.

      Links here:

      Cafe Too http://bit.ly/rYjaU8
      Inspiration Kitchens http://bit.ly/tckz5i

      (9) From Wanda Irving

      Check out Volunteers of America in Portland, Oregon, CEO. CEO is Kay Toran.

      They have a very successful social entrepreneurial catering/restaurant in coalition with a culinary arts school, training low skilled individuals.

      http://bit.ly/s9ATjw
    • Andy Miller
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2011
        Fair Start in Seattle is a remarkable program and Restaurant that does exactly what you are describing

        http://bit.ly/vXu383

        Here in Portland, we operate a catering and food service Business Enterprise called Catering for a Cause http://bit.ly/sUPq7y . While we do not have a restaurant and provide more limited training opportunities, we have some experience and would be glad to help.

        Andy Miller
        Director of Housing and Enterprise Operations
        Volunteers of America Oregon
        Portland, Oregon
        503.595.2020