Re: Food Distribution SE

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2011
      Here are the responses to the following question from Jack Glade (Tutorial Center, Vermont, USA):

      "We have a strong Youth Agriculture Project that grows and harvests thousands of pounds of organic food that is donated to local homeless shelters, etc. This year, several area restaurants and a hospital cafeteria asked to purchase our food. We also have connections to many area farms that might be interested in having a local entity collect food from them for sale to commercial accounts.

      "So, I'm wondering if we should consider adding food distribution to our services to increase the Project's earned revenue. Assuming we can manage the logistics of local food distribution, I would appreciate advice on legal or insurance issues we would need to address."

      (1) From Jim Schwartz" <wolfgang@...>

      We have been exploring the feasibility of establishing a produce processing and distribution facility here in west-central Wisconsin to provide economic outlets for local growers and aggregate local produce for institutional and commercial outlets. We are still in the study phase, however I can recommend a couple of good resources:

      University of Wisconsin Ag Innovation Center did a series of case studies and produced a report Scaling Up: Meeting the Demand for Local Food. Available on-line at: http://bit.ly/rWtI4C

      Another good resource is Organic Valley co-op, they have been working with Amish growers and have some valuable lessons learned. [Editor's note: http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/produce/ ]

      (2) From Theresa Persico

      Check out http://www.localdirt.com . Good luck!

      [Editor's note: From Local Dirt's web site:

      "Need a little more organic, grass-fed, heirloom or free-range in your life? Local Dirt is your place to find and buy fresh, local food directly from the family farm. Are you buying wholesale? Use price sheets from producers and local food distributors who can deliver to you. Order online and save time." ]

      (3) From Bill Aguado

      Over 20 years ago there was a creative venture in the South Bronx growing produce with hydroponic techniques. The growing process was a success.

      What ultimately created market challenges was the inability to sustain a timely delivery schedule; that is, chefs, cooks etc needed their herbs, produce et al early in the morning to begin the preparations for the day. Imagine a chef waiting for the ingredients in the late in the late morning!

      A timely delivery and reliable distribution system is one of the primary goals needed for a successful venture.
    • mike.paik
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2011
        Here in Northern California, we are starting an agricultural aggregation center, a component of our fresh cut food processing facility. I am more than happy to share information on our progress and where we can be of help.

        Our project is utilizing local farmers, local labor (new jobs) and end users are local schools and institutions. Our aggregation center will provide small family farmers a place to aggregate product, and give distributors a place to buy local product. Here is some local press.

        http://bit.ly/uwehlq

        --- In npEnterprise@yahoogroups.com, Rolfe Larson <Rolfe@...> wrote:

        > Here are the responses to the following question from Jack Glade (Tutorial Center, Vermont, USA):
        >
        > "We have a strong Youth Agriculture Project that grows and harvests thousands of pounds of organic food that is donated to local homeless shelters, etc. This year, several area restaurants and a hospital cafeteria asked to purchase our food. We also have connections to many area farms that might be interested in having a local entity collect food from them for sale to commercial accounts.
        >
        > "So, I'm wondering if we should consider adding food distribution to our services to increase the Project's earned revenue. Assuming we can manage the logistics of local food distribution, I would appreciate advice on legal or insurance issues we would need to address."
        >
        > (1) From Jim Schwartz" <wolfgang@...>
        >
        > We have been exploring the feasibility of establishing a produce processing and distribution facility here in west-central Wisconsin to provide economic outlets for local growers and aggregate local produce for institutional and commercial outlets. We are still in the study phase, however I can recommend a couple of good resources:
        >
        > University of Wisconsin Ag Innovation Center did a series of case studies and produced a report Scaling Up: Meeting the Demand for Local Food. Available on-line at: http://bit.ly/rWtI4C
        >
        > Another good resource is Organic Valley co-op, they have been working with Amish growers and have some valuable lessons learned. [Editor's note: http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/produce/ ]
        >
        > (2) From Theresa Persico
        >
        > Check out http://www.localdirt.com . Good luck!
        >
        > [Editor's note: From Local Dirt's web site:
        >
        > "Need a little more organic, grass-fed, heirloom or free-range in your life? Local Dirt is your place to find and buy fresh, local food directly from the family farm. Are you buying wholesale? Use price sheets from producers and local food distributors who can deliver to you. Order online and save time." ]
        >
        > (3) From Bill Aguado
        >
        > Over 20 years ago there was a creative venture in the South Bronx growing produce with hydroponic techniques. The growing process was a success.
        >
        > What ultimately created market challenges was the inability to sustain a timely delivery schedule; that is, chefs, cooks etc needed their herbs, produce et al early in the morning to begin the preparations for the day. Imagine a chef waiting for the ingredients in the late in the late morning!
        >
        > A timely delivery and reliable distribution system is one of the primary goals needed for a successful venture.

      • Dan Aloot
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2011
          The entrepreneur who introduced pre-made hot and cold sandwiches and related
          foods to convenience stores (and built an owner-operator food distribution
          system that serviced 5,000-plus locations in Southern California with
          deliveries that got product his company made fresh the previous evening to
          store shelves starting at 3:00 am the next morning) is my partner in a
          private sector-based social enterprise in Southern California http://bit.ly/rIBdvj

          I asked if he might be willing to consider
          providing low-cost/no-cost technical assistance to social enterprises that
          could use the wisdom of a food logistics and development pro. [He is an
          absolute genius not only on distribution systems but also in developing a
          variety of other products, including healthy and vegan snack foods for
          people and pets. He's the "go-to" guy for food processing companies and was
          recently asked to spearhead the development of an international food
          distribution network, selling US foods overseas.]

          I write all of this, because, quite frankly, he's so darn busy, I thought he
          might decline my off-line suggestion. Well, always an entrepreneur and very
          much a social entrepreneur, he said, "Yes." His email address is
          rglade@....

          M. Daniel Aloot
          Founding Principal

          --- In npEnterprise@yahoogroups.com <mailto:npEnterprise%40yahoogroups.com>