Re: Renewable energy SE?

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2011
      Here are more responses to the following question:

      "Because of the costs of PV [photovoltaic] panels and other forms of renewable energy, is it feasible to launch a social enterprise (with no private capital) that combines tech skills training with renewable energy? Has this been successfully done in the US, and if so, by whom?"

      (1) From David G Hopkins

      This is what we do at my company, 1 Block Off the Grid! http://1bog.org/. 40 articles have been written about us in the last few weeks, such as this one:

      http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/20/technology/solar-groupon/

      (2) From Drew Tulchin

      Solar Richmond, in Richmond, CA (SF Bay Area) http://www.solarrichmond.org has been doing this for years. They have lots of experience.

      Why wouldn’t you want private capital to do something like this?

      (3) From Pat Peterson

      Your question jogged my memory and I re-found an article in Ode magazine from March 2009 – “A living lab for renewable energy.” It reported on Solar Energy International (SEI) “where a record number of people have signed up to take classes in renewable energy and sustainable building.” SEI is a nonprofit. An interesting article, might be of some help.

      [Editor's note: that article can be found at http://www.odemagazine.com/doc/61/sei-solar/ ]

      (4) From Jenny Huston

      Check out the Ella Baker Center in Oakland: http://www.ellabakercenter.org/index.php?p=gcjc_about