Re: Composting SEs?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2011
      Here are the responses to the following question from Katherine Richardson:

      "I am interested in starting a composting project --- connecting with area vendors and collecting their expired produce, composting it, then selling it as fertilizer. The idea is very much in brainstorming phase right now but I am curious if there are similar models out there. I'd love to hear your ideas and suggestions."

      (1) From David Ashworth

      Check out Back to The Roots business model in Emeryville, CA

      (2) From Mark Boatwright

      Try Father Dom's Duck Poo

      http://www.fundraiserhelp.com/fund-raising/father-doms-duck-doo-compost.htm

      (3) From Christopher Lytle

      San Francisco is doing quite a bit in this area. Also Seattle. Google "composting services" for some good ideas.

      [Editor's note: Denver also. Believe it or not, it's actually a campaign issue in the current mayor's race...]

      (4) From Chuck Lief

      Check out the Intervale Center in Burlington VT ( http://www.intervale.org ) which has been composting for more than 30 years as part of a broader sustainable agriculture and Land stewardship mission. (I was board chair until January, 2011) Three years ago the compost business was sold to the county solid waste District as it got too big for the site on which it was located, composting more than 35,000 tons of organic waste.

      Composting is not simple at any scale -- there are issues about groundwater protection from runoff, risk of bacteria in “undercooked” compost that is sold, storage and delivery etc.

      Profit margins are not huge but can be real if well managed.

      (5) From Lynn Daly

      The city of Toronto in Ontario Canada collects compost from every household and business in the city. It is called the green Bin program. They also collect all paper, cardboard, cans and bottles separately.

      (6) From Drew Tulchin

      The Intervale Center in Burlington, VT had a very successful composting business, you can google that. They had challenges with their land at one point when gov’t officials changed their mind about what types of permits were needed.

      East Bay (SF Area) Waste Disposal has a great model to sell the material they collect. They’ve had it for years, even before curbside was usual there.
    • mike.paik
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2011
        Greetings,
        I'm writing in response to an e-mail forwarded to me regarding compost questions. I would like to offer what may be a gold mine for compost to someone. I am building a fresh fruit & vegetable processing facility in either Marin or Sonoma County, with an anticipated opening of Jan 1, 2012, I'd like to know if there is someone out there that's interested in our trimmings & peels. Please let me know if you're interested.

        Michael Paik

        Michael Paik
        Enterprise Manager
        Buckelew Programs
        900 5th st. suite 150
        San Rafael, CA 94901
        Office: 415-456-9350
        Cell: 415-827-1304
        email: michaelp@...

        --- In npEnterprise@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Richardson <richardsonkatherine12@...> wrote:

        > I am interested in starting a composting project--connecting with area vendors
        > and collecting their expired produce, composting it, then selling it as
        > fertilizer.  The idea is very much in brainstorming phase right now but I am
        > curious if there are similar models out there.  I'd love to hear your ideas and
        > suggestions.

      • Jenny Huston
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2011
          That depends on where the facility is...

          In Marin County I would give Marin Agricultural Land Trust, Marin Organic,�and in Sonoma County I would contact Sonoma Compost Company. Another organization to speak with is who ever is your trash hauler, every jurisdiction in each county is different for the most part, and see if they have composting services.

          The issue in the Bay Area has been that no new composing facilities have been licensed for over 10 years. In SF and Alameda Counties the compost materials are shipped up to Davis to be composted...�I had a great deal of trouble having our food scrap composted here in Oakland when I was running the Meals on Wheels program, hence my knowledge of the subject.

          Let me know if you have any further questions.

          Be well,

          Jenny
          Jenny Huston, MA, CEC, CDM, CFPP
          Farm to Table Food Services
          Oakland, CA 94606
          415.235.9312
          http://www.farmtotableservices.com/
          chefjennyhuston@...

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 23, 2011
            Dear Katherine,

            I do appreciate your plans to start a composting project. While it will surely have a good impact on waste disposal as well as ready manures, there are certain issues that you may want to know before you start as if not done properly it could be adding to GHG emissions and could lead to a negative enivornmental effect. Composting is known for releasing high amounts of Methane and Carbon di oxide. For your ready reference I give you a link below which will give you an idea. Hope this will help you and you will be able to find methods which can reduce this effect.

            http://www.unep.or.jp/Ietc/estdir/pub/msw/sp/sp4/SP4_3.asp

            All the best with your efforts
            Warm regards
            Pradeep

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6 9:23 AM
              Here are additional responses to a question asking for examples of composting SEs. The first comment below responds to the following comment:

              "While [composting projects] will surely have a good impact on waste disposal as well as ready manures, there are certain issues that you may want to know before you start as if not done properly it could be adding to GHG emissions and could lead to a negative environmental effect. Composting is known for releasing high amounts of Methane and Carbon dioxide."

              http://www.unep.or.jp/Ietc/estdir/pub/msw/sp/sp4/SP4_3.asp

              (1) From Eric Lombardi

              I’m sorry, but what you say is just not true. Composting is not “known” for releasing high amounts of methane! If composting is done correctly, there is very little methane created. The UNEP paper cited says just that, “Gases released from improperly maintained compost piles are a negative effect associated with the composting process.”

              It is true that composting on a community/industrial scale can be a challenging business for the unprepared person. But for someone who is relatively intelligent and caring about the environment then starting and running a composting facility is a perfectly wonderful way to help reduce GHGs, create local employment, radically reduce methane emissions from the landfill, create a soil amendment that will then CAPTURE and retain more carbon than unhealthy soil, the same goes for greater water retention.

              I helped create a national campaign a few years ago to get all biodegradable materials out of the landfill, and you can visit this excellent resource online at http://www.cool2012.com

              (2) From George Cladis

              The City of Worcester, MA does composting that it then uses both for its parks and also neighborhood gardens, the latter as part of an effort to create gardens out of empty space in urban areas (a growing interest in cities across North America). We created a therapeutic garden for some of our clients and the city offered to give us compost for free. I mention this to you because they might have some expertise in how to compost in a way that does not adversely affect the environment. They also appear to compost on a large scale -- something you seem to be interested in.

              (3) From David Tinker CFRE

              What about Ecoscraps? http://ecoscraps.net/