SE projects for students?

  • Dilek ZAMANTILI NAYIR
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2011
      Within the framework of my CSR-course [corporate social responsibility] at my university, I am expecting my students to develop ideas for a local textile company (which is also producing for international sports brands), that wishes to get involved in social matters.

      The company operates in the largest district of Istanbul (Turkey), which is
      characterized by high illiteracy, high domestic violence, girls getting
      married at low age etc.

      I want the students to get involved in a real-life project and not just
      learn CSR/Corp. Citizenship out of books. They will be marked for the
      projects they develop.

      I have said to the students, they should inquire about the possibilites of
      corporate volunteering; however I am not sure what the workers of this
      textile firm can offer, because they themselves are not too well educated or
      particularly skilled. Maybe corporate volunteering was not such a good idea
      anyway...

      Can anyone give me good ideas or examples, particularly from other
      developing/emerging nations?

      Saygilarimla/Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Kind regards

      Doc. Dr. Dilek Zamantili Nayir
      www.dileknayir.com
      Marmara Universitesi
      Almanca Isletme Bolumu
      Bolum Baskan Yardimcisi
      34810 Anadoluhisari Istanbul

      [Editor's note: while his question relates to CSR (corporate social responsibility) programs, I'm sure his students would also be interested in social enterprise opportunities. Incidentally, in a followup email, the professor indicated that they are college level students, who could, for example, "search via Internet, reading newspapers, magazines or websites on what is going on in the world related to social entrepreneurship, corporate social responsibility projects and corporate citizenship initiatives, especially in other countries similar to Turkey."]
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3 4:31 PM
        These are the responses to a request from Professor Dilek Zamantili Nayir, from Marmara University in Istanbul, for ideas for his students to do projects with social enterprises or corporate social responsibility companies, particularly in other developing/emerging countries.

        (1) From Yaso Thiru

        I just returned from a tour of a number of social enterprises across India. Goonj [ http://www.goonj.org/ ] is a nonprofit that recycles clothing. The way they make an impact is by providing clothing as a reward for community improvement work in villages. Some of their examples included: building one-roomed schoolhouse, digging a well, building a foot bridge- all of these projects involved people from the local villages providing the labor in return for warm clothing, school supplies (recycled), etc. Similar projects may be developed related to literacy projects in Istanbul, it seems... provide motivation for going to/staying in/creating community schools, etc.

        (2) From Marion N. Zajac

        Here in urban Trenton NJ USA we are surrounded by institutions of higher learning who commit to projects in the inner city. For instance, tutoring and serving hot meals at the Trenton Soup Kitchen, building homes for Habitat for Humanity, working with inner city youth by teaching and supporting an entrepreneurship training program within the schools as an after school program, and planning and executing a trip to perform work on housing for the poor and fundraising to cover their expenses. Hope this helps. Your vision is well-placed.

        (3) From Alex Stobart

        Mr Nayir may wish to use another listserv called the e Campaigning Forum.

        There he will be able to link with Charities / NGOs who operate all over the world, and who may very well be able to offer local, Turkish opportunities for his students.

        Alternatively they might direct him and his students to projects across the rest of the world.

        Details : =================

        To subscribe:
        http://fairsay.com/ecflist

        To post to the eCampaigning Forum Practitioners list, email: Practitioners@...

        (4) From Stacy McCoy

        In my opinion, the best way to integrate a social mission into the foundation of a textile firm in a developing country is to ensure that you are in fact helping the workers develop. Ensuring the the workers are paid a fair wage for their work is arguably the most important thing. Consumers in today's market really care about the social mission and how what they love impacting the world through what they buy. Fair trade is a great way to gain visibility and loyalty in today's market. Paul Rice of Fair Trade USA spoke at the Skoll World Forum yesterday. He said something that really resonated with me and might really help you in your quest to integrate CSR/Corporate Citizenship into the textile firm:

        "We all buy stuff. If you can turn the act.. into an act of grace and goodwill that's a very empowering notion"

        Good luck! Would love to be updated on what the class comes up with!

        Thanks Rolfe for setting up and managing this listserv. I really enjoy reading all of the questions and answers!

        Stacy McCoy
        Chief Executive Officer
        Give to Get Jobs

        Give to Get Jobs: For-profit jobs that give back. Look for the website and job board launch in April!