Re: Franchise as SE

  • Aparna Katre
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 23, 2011
      I would like to echo Paulina's comments below as a franchisee working
      towards improving the quality and access to education for K-12 in the
      community and also a doctoral student researching social enterprises.
      Franchise option is indeed lower risk working from a proven model and market
      demand. However, it does take 80 hours a week unpaid effort in the first few
      years to build the business just like any other small business.

      I have compared my own efforts in setting up the franchise operations with
      those of 30 other social entrepreneurial ventures started by individuals
      which are not franchise model based. The underlying phenomenon of strong
      motivation, belief, market orientation, tightly coupled business model and
      having your personal money and effort at stake are the same in both cases.

      Aparna Katre
      Doctor of Management - 2012
      Case Western Reserve University
      Cleveland, OH

      On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Paulina Migalska <pmigalska@...>wrote:

      > Having read all the comments on Social Enterprise Franchising, I was
      > curious
      > to seek a colleague's input. Dan Elitzer, who had done consulting in this
      > area while at Community Wealth Ventures (CWV), shares some interesting
      > points:
      >
      > "Social franchising is hard, but not more so than other types of social
      > enterprise. In fact, none of the comments below appear to be
      > franchise-specific. In a lot of ways, social franchising is lower risk than
      > other types of social enterprise, because you're working from a proven
      > business model.
      >
      > "On the other hand, with social franchises, you can't really
      > "dip your toes in the water" - you have to make a sizable up-front
      > investment. Franchises are also less flexible than stand-alone businesses
      > in terms of adopting a double bottom line approach because you are
      > contractually required to stick to their model. That said, many franchises
      > are designed to be able to use very low-skilled workers, and as such, can
      > provide solid opportunities for workforce development.
      >
      > "Bottom line: I don't think social franchising is going to revolutionize
      > social enterprise, but it's a powerful option for the right organizations.
      > Feel free to share my comments with the list and I'm happy to talk with
      > anyone who wants to dig in further."
      >
      > [Editor's note: This has been a great discussion about social franchising!
      > Thanks to everyone who participated. Incidentally, if you want to see a
      > compilation of this discussion, click on http://bit.ly/eZJau7 . By the
      > way, you can "follow" the npEnterprise Forum via my Twitter account at
      > http://bit.ly/g7l2Yr . As a companion to the listserv, these Twitter
      > listings are exclusively focused on social enterprise, and include
      > references to useful articles, blogs and reports in the field. Or, if you're
      > LinkedIn instead, you can get most of the same information at
      > http://linkd.in/dHJQKT ]

    • p_friedland
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 24, 2014
        Hi. I'm developing a coaching servce for an entrepreneurship program working with unemployed folks and looking for curricula. Thanks.