Got SE question?

    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 4 5:20 AM
      Do you have a social enterprise question?

      Posing your question to almost 7000 of your peers can be a little
      daunting, but it's worth it. Requests posted to the npEnterprise Forum
      routinely result in several thoughtful responses that can provide you with
      valuable suggestions and networking opportunities. So...

      Do you have a question about:
      1) Whether your organization is ready to pursue earned income?
      2) The risks and rewards of starting a social enterprise?
      3) How to identify and select worthwhile venture ideas?
      4) How to conduct business research?
      5) How to write an effective business plan?
      6) How to secure funding for your venture?
      7) How to integrate business development into your daily management?
      8) Who is running a venture similar to yours?
      9) Something else related to starting or growing your earned income
      activities?

      If so, please click "Reply" and ask your question. Change the subject
      line to reflect the nature of your question. By the way, we've noticed that
      short, specific questions tend to get the best responses.

      You might want first to check out our frequently asked questions (FAQ)
      file at http://www.npEnterprise.net -- which might answer your question or
      help you frame it to bring in new information to the list.

      Thanks, and see you online!

      PS: If you want to post an SE question anonymously, just email to me at
      Rolfe@..., and I'll post it for you (without listing your name).
    • Ushnish Sengupta
      Message 40 of 40 , May 23, 2015
        One example may be Centre for Social Innovation, with locations in Toronto and New York.
        You can look at their coworking space model for details http://socialinnovation.ca/
        The surplus revenues from rentals may go into subsidizing cost of space for tenants, services and programs that benefit members such as organized networking.

        The other type of organization that distributes surplus back to their members are Cooperatives.  There are thousands of housing cooperatives that distribute surplus rental revenue back to their members.  But the members are typically individuals, not nonprofits. I am working with a fledgling coop of social enterprises distributing surplus revenues back to its members (rental income is one component), but its starting up, so we have no data or insights to share yet.

        Also, I have come across a dozens of nonprofit organizations who rent their space on a temporary basis, i.e. for meetings or conferences, but the financial benefit accrues to the single nonprofit that owns the building, and its programs, and not other partner tenants.

        Ushnish

        On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Rolfe Larson Rolfe@... [npEnterprise] <npEnterprise@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Here are responses to following question from Glen Newby:

        "My question is related to social purpose real estate (for example multi-tenant nonprofit facilities in the U.S. and Canada) that are operated by a nonprofit as a social enterprise. There are many facilities owned and operated by a nonprofit, but extremely few (at least that I know of) that do so for the sole purpose of generating a surplus to be granted back to partner tenants that are nonprofit,  in order to enhance their mission.

        Would really like to connect with anyone with a similar SE project or activity.”

        (1) From Tina…

        Catholic Charities Fort Worth runs an apartment complex called Urban Manor. You might be interested in getting in touch with them.

        (2) From Paul Lamb

        It is not a social enterprise per se, but you might be interested in checking out My Broker Donates in California, which donates a commission from every real estate sale to charity.