Animal Shelter SE's

  • E Gillis
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008
      I'm involved with a start-up organization that is interested in moving beyond animal sheltering to incorporate for profit boarding, grooming, vet practice as well as providing fee based animal assisted therapy and animal food co-op. All of this to bring money in and foot traffic to adopt animals we'll bring in from our local high kill shelters. This concept also re-brands or elevates the status of shelter animals from "used dogs and cats" to partners in animals helping people and people helping animals. Whole new perception concept and a marketing opportunity to take a piece of the 90 billion dollar pet industry that funds Petco, swanky boarding places, commercial breeders (puppy mills and backyard, internet from whom people buy dogs and cats because they perceive them as better than shelter animals.) to support homeless animals. We also want to employ and train kids aging out of the foster care system in our boarding and grooming centers, for job training (vet assistant certification in our vet center).

      Does anyone know of other animal welfare groups out there involved with social enterprise?

      Eileen S. Gillis
      Attorney at Law-Family Law Litigator/Mediator
      Sacramento, CA 95818
      O - (916)325-1080
    • Allen Bromberger
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008

        Several people have asked me how to find the Treasury Decision and revenue rulings I referenced in my last post.

        Treasury Decision 9390 issued March 28, 2008 is available here:

        http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-9356.pdf

        The Revenue Rulings I mentioned are 98-15 and 2004-51.

        Allen R. Bromberger, Esq.

        Perlman & Perlman, LLP

        41 Madison Avenue, Suite 4000

        New York, NY 10010-2202

        Tel. 212 889-0575

        fax 212 743-8120

        allen@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
          Below are some of the responses we have received to the following question
          from Eileen Gillis:

[...]

          1) From Vicki Mastro <vicki_m@...>

          Although I cannot recall the names, what about the animal welfare agencies
          that are going into some prisons and partnering inmates with dogs?

          And, as an agency that works with foster youth, I would be very interested
          in being kept in the loop about your progress.  I really like the idea that
          you have of employing and training kids, aging out of the foster care
          system, in animal boarding and training facilities.

          Vicki Mastro, CFRE
          Director of Development
          Ettie Lee Youth & Family Services
          Baldwin Park, CA  91706-0339

          2) From Ken Ristine <ken@...>

          You may wish to talk to a couple of Washington State organizations: Prison
          Pet Partnership (http://www.prisonpetpartnership.org/) and Coalition Humane
          (http://www.psnp.org/).

          Both organizations offer fee-based services that complement their charitable
          missions.

          Ken Ristine
          Senior Program Officer
          Ben B. Cheney Foundation

          3) From Jeff Stern <jeffrey.m.stern@...>

          A different model, but perhaps one to learn from, is AniMall here in NC.
          They provide a central location for existing rescue groups and shelters to
          bring their adoptable animals. AniMall helps pets find homes in two main
          ways: 1) by providing a friendly environment for the public to interact with
          pets and 2) by providing a location inside a mall, AniMall increases
          awareness of these animals, thus increasing their chances for adoption.

          They are maintained through a mix of donations and retail sales of
          pet-related merchandise. I haven't spoken with their Executive Director in
          a couple of years, but he is still there and I'd be happy to connect you
          with him via email if you'd like to contact me off-list.

          4) From Tamra Ryan <TamraR@...>

          Eileen,

          You might check out the Humane Society of Boulder Valley here in Colorado.
          <http://www.boulderhumane.org/hsbv/index.asp>
          They have done a great job in this area. Good luck

          Tamra Ryan
          CEO
          Women's Bean Project
          Denver, CO 80205
          303.292.1919 x111
          www.womensbeanproject.com

          5) From Timothy Easterbrook <easterfelt@...>

          In our area in Mendocino County the Animal shelter has a very open Staff in
          particular a woman name Sage. At one point she had a activity that brought
          in foster youth and at risk children to learn about basic animal handling
          and care. Your thought is well worth pursing especially to develop a
          certificate, As I thought about your concept I see starting at an even
          younger age to work as certified dog handler as a start and have a
          progression of skills based experiences like the grooming and on to the vet
          assistant like developing a career path. At present I am given a task to
          develop a
          program to address youth with barriers to employment and a segment of my
          time is to create enterprise for youth. Having more opportunity for youth to
          be active in community and provide a service such as the animal handling and
          I would like your kind of program here in Ukiah CA.

          Timothy Easterbrook
          Mental Health Rehab Specilist,Redwood Childrens Serrvices
          Ukiah CA 95482
          (707)272-2570