The Enterprising Voice v6.9

  • Sarah Park
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      The Enterprising Voice is an exclusive benefit for SEA members. If you are a
      member of SEA please sign-in to access the entire content of the newsletter
      at http://www.se-alliance.org/news_current.cfm

      If you are not currently a member of SEA, join today at
      http://www.se-alliance.org/membership.cfm

      In this issue:

      - SEA News & Resources
      - Save the Date for our 10th Anniversary Summit!
      - SEA Offers New Educational Teleconferences
      - New SEA Blog
      - LinkedIn
      - Social Enterprise World Forum
      - Chapter News

      Other News & Resources
      - Job Openings
      - Key Lesson Business Can Teach Charities
      - Tracking 'Social Entrepreneurs' Gets Easier
      - Starting Up: Funding Your Social Venture
      - Cultivating the Green Consumer
      - Company will Continue Paul Newman's Philanthropy
      - Thrift Shops Thriving, but Running Low on Stock
      - V3 Campaign

      Events
      - Earned Income Strategies: From Assessment to Implementation
      - SEA Chapter Organizer Call
      - A Better World by Design, RI
      - National Summit on Entrepreneurship, VA

      SEA News & Resources

      1. Save the Date for our 10th Anniversary Summit!
      Sponsor the Summit. We invite sponsors from across the continent to join us
      as partners helping to accelerate the transition to a more just and
      sustainable world. Consider engaging with the Social Enterprise Alliance
      through one of our special 10th Anniversary Summit sponsorship opportunities
      to help us advance this vital field.
      http://www.se-alliance.org/summit_09Sponsorship.pdf

      Early Bird Exhibitor Registration opens November 1 for SEA members at the
      Enterpriser level and above. The exhibit area, located outside of the
      plenary ballroom at the Summit, will provide you plenty of traffic and ample
      opportunity to interact with conference attendees. This year's event will
      attract even more attendees from across North America, so reserve your space
      early. http://www.se-alliance.org/summit_09exhibit.cfm

      2. SEA Offers New Educational Teleconferences
      In partnership with Social Enterprise Group, SEA is pleased to offer 3
      teleconferences on key topics for success in social enterprise. Sign up
      today, ( http://www.se-alliance.org/events_teleconference.cfm ) and notify
      your staff of these new offerings. Members get a discount at $30; non-member
      price is $40.

      Lessons from the Front Lines
      November 5, 1:00 PM Eastern
      There are few things scarier than watching your business fail. In this
      workshop, we'll present case studies about what could go wrong when running
      a social enterprise. We'll discuss three very different projects and the
      pitfalls that could have been avoided. You'll gain invaluable tools for
      keeping your venture on track.
      Register at
      http://map.se-alliance.org/events/EV04EventDetail.aspx?eventID=2525

      Mission, Money & Culture
      November 19, 1:00 PM Eastern
      For organizations ready to solve the inherent challenges that come with
      trying to balance a social or environmental mission with the need to
      generate revenue. We'll offer plenty of tips for balancing these elements
      over the long term.
      Register at
      http://map.se-alliance.org/events/EV04EventDetail.aspx?eventID=2526

      Pricing Strategies
      December 10, 1:00 PM Eastern
      Learn the four Ps of pricing, when to use them, and how to develop short and
      long term pricing strategies.
      Register at
      http://map.se-alliance.org/events/EV04EventDetail.aspx?eventID=2527

      3. New SEA Blog
      Read Kris Prendergast's first post, a recap of the World Social Enterprise
      Forum held in Scotland September 4 -6, 2008. We look forward to sharing
      social enterprise news, opinions and musings with you through the SEA blog.
      http://www.sea-alliance.blogspot.com/

      4. Get LinkedIn with SEA
      Did you know that SEA has a LinkedIn group? We encourage all SEA Members to
      join the group. Learn more at
      http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=137219. If you are not yet a
      member of SEA, learn more about SEA membership at
      http://www.se-alliance.org/membership.cfm

      5. SEA at Social Enterprise World Forum
      A major achievement at the Social Enterprise World Forum in Scotland last
      week was an agreement by forum partners to create an international steering
      committee, according to Kris Prendergast, president and CEO of Social
      Enterprise Alliance. From Axiom News
      http://www.axiomnews.ca/NewsArchives/2008/September/September11.html

      6. Chapter News
      We are pleased to announce the launch of SEA St. Louis' new web pages. Visit
      the pages to learn more about chapter events, partners and how to get
      involved. http://www.se-alliance.org/stlouis.cfm

      Other News & Resources

      1. Job Openings

      Business Analyst, Rubicon National Social Innovations, San Francisco, CA
      Rubicon National Social Innovations (RNSI) is a laboratory for scaling
      social enterprise. RNSI is an initiative of Rubicon Programs, an
      award-winning leader in the social enterprise field with over 20 years
      experience building effective social purpose businesses including Rubicon
      Bakery and Rubicon Landscaping. View the complete job description
      http://www.rubiconprograms.org/Jobs/BusinessAnalyst_SanFrancisco.html

      Project Manager, Greyston Foundation, Yonkers, NY
      Greyston Foundation is launching an initiative to develop their next social
      enterprise and is looking for a Project Manager to lead the initial phase of
      development activities. Recognized as a pioneer in "social enterprise,"
      Greyston uses entrepreneurship to solve the problems of the inner city and
      reduce reliance on external funding sources. View the complete job
      description http://www.greyston.org/index.php?get_involved

      2. A Key Lesson Business Can Teach Charities
      [SEA Members only. Please sign-in to view at
      http://www.se-alliance.org/news_current.cfm%5d

      3. Tracking 'Social Entrepreneurs' Gets Easier
      [SEA Members only. Please sign-in to view at
      http://www.se-alliance.org/news_current.cfm%5d

      4. Starting Up: Funding Your Social Venture
      [SEA Members only. Please sign-in to view at
      http://www.se-alliance.org/news_current.cfm%5d

      5. Cultivating the Green Consumer
      [SEA Members only. Please sign-in to view at
      http://www.se-alliance.org/news_current.cfm%5d

      6. Company will Continue Paul Newman's Philanthropy
      [SEA Members only. Please sign-in to view at
      http://www.se-alliance.org/news_current.cfm%5d

      7. Thrift Shops Thriving, but Running Low on Stock
      While the nation's best-known retail chains are pulling out all the stops to
      lure shoppers and bolster their abysmal sales, their customers are defecting
      to an unlikely rival: the local thrift shop. From The New York Times
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/business/10thrift.html

      8. V3 Campaign
      The V3 Campaign will make the voice of the nonprofit sector heard, its value
      realized, and its votes counted in every election in America. The V3
      Campaign asks candidates for office to provide details about their
      experience with and plans for strengthening the nonprofit sector. V3 then
      posts the replies here. Details at http://www.v3campaign.org/blog/

      Events

      1. Earned Income Strategies: From Assessment to Implementation
      The Grantsmanship Center presents intensive, three-day workshops on how your
      nonprofit can generate increased unrestricted and diversified revenue in a
      manner that strengthens mission and builds capacity by building on your
      team's existing activities and core competencies. This practical workshop
      includes completing an internal assessment and implementation plan
      specifically for your organization. The instructors are Rolfe Larson and
      Michael Whitehead-Bust. Upcoming workshops include:
      * Los Angeles (Oct 13-15)
      * Trenton, NJ (Oct 27-29)
      * Williamsburg, VA (Nov 10-12)
      * Detroit (Dec 1-3)
      * New Orleans (Dec 8-10)
      Details and registration http://www.tgci.com/eis.shtml

      2. 10/14 - SEA Chapter Organizer Call
      To support our new chapters and organizing groups across the country, SEA
      invites any current or interested chapter leaders and organizers to exchange
      information on a monthly call. Email paulina@... for more
      information.

      3. 11/17 - A Better World by Design, Providence, RI
      This conference will bring together such far-ranging fields as social
      entrepreneurship, engineering, design, economics, development, and
      environmental studies in search of new opportunities to generate solutions
      to extreme poverty, access to basic resources, and environmental
      degradation. Details and registration http://www.abetterworldbydesign.com/

      4. 5/16-19 - Save the date for the 2009 Association for Enterprise
      Opportunity (AEO) conference in Arlington, VA. Details at
      http://www.microenterpriseworks.org/index.asp?bid=2764

      Visit our online calendar for more social enterprise event information.
      http://www.se-alliance.org/events.cfm

      Save the Date!

      10th Anniversary Social Enterprise Summit
      Social Enterprise 2.0: Dare to Dream, Dare to Do

      April 15-17, 2009
      New Orleans, LA

      http://www.se-alliance.org/summit.cfm

      homepage. If you would like to post news, content, events or offer feedback
      regarding any part of this bulletin, please contact sarah@....