Re: SE Ventures for Gang-At Risk Youth?

  • Michael Whitehead-Bust
    Message 1 of 36 , May 1, 2008
      We received the following responses to this question from Patrick Malone:

      "My question would be: Does anyone know of a North American model of a
      social enterprise organized as a worker owned cooperative involving high
      school age gang or at-risk youth in the retail or manufacturing sectors?
      Contact info??

      (1) From Judith Latta <jlatta@...>

      Two possibilities you might like to look at:

      1. More Than Words (retail second hand books/vulnerable youth) in Boston,
      which I toured during the Social Enterprise Alliance Summit, while I
      understand it is not 'legally owned' by the workers, it appears to enjoy a
      high level of ownership by the participants.

      2.Here in Australia we run a program called YouthWorx for at-risk teenagers.
      We offer retail skills, training and personal support based in an
      Opportunity Shop (Thrift Store). Our success is made possible thanks to the
      support of 30 highly engaged adult volunteers/mentors. While participants
      don't have legal ownership of the store, they a have
      a strong psychological ownership of the enterprise.

      (2) From Mari <drive@...>

      You should check out New Door Ventures

      http://www.ggci.org/

      (3) From Jocelyn Berger <jocelyn.berger@...>

      I don't think it's a worker owned cooperative, but the youth programs at
      Jewish Vocational Service in SF definitely involve at-risk high schoolers in
      retail, food service, etc. www.jvs.org. A local bakery called Mission Pie,
      in fact, employs city kids on their farm, which produces all the of the
      local, sustainably produced, organic food for the bakery itself, which is
      also staffed by the kids.

      Hope that helps,
      Jocelyn

      (4) From Luis Davila-Ortega <luis.davilaortega@...>

      Homeboys Industries comes to mind. Check them out at
      http://www.homeboy-industries.org/
    • p_friedland
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 24, 2014
        Hi. I'm developing a coaching servce for an entrepreneurship program working with unemployed folks and looking for curricula. Thanks.