RE: On Language

  • Jim McClurg
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007
      While the words "social entrepreneurship" and "social enterprise" are often
      used interchangeably, the distinction between them is real. The former is
      generally used to describe the generic application of entrepreneurial
      methods and mindset in addressing social issues. The latter falls under
      that umbrella but more specifically refers to the quid pro quo exchange of
      goods, services or privileges in the marketplace - an exchange designed to
      generate sustainable income and opportunity for a social purpose. For
      further information, check out the "Definition" resource page on the Social
      Enterprise Alliance website:
      http://www.se-alliance.org/resources_defined.cfm

      Jim McClurg, VP, Social Enterprise Alliance
    • Jerr Boschee
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2007
        I've reprinted below a copy of my recent column (March 2007) from the SOCIAL
        ENTERPRISE REPORTER which addresses this issue. Among other things, the
        column includes an abbreviated history of the emergence of the two schools
        of thought -- social innovation and social enterprise -- that combined make
        up the field of social entrepreneurship.

        [Moderator's Note: Jerr's article can be viewed in its entirety at:
        http://www.sereporter.com/archives.php
        Also, those interested in this conversation might enjoy the recent
        article in the Stanford Social Innovation Review:
        http://www.ssireview.org/articles/entry/social_entrepreneurship_the_case_for_definition/%5d
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2007
          Last week, there was a brief discussion on the npEnterprise Forum about
          terminology. One component of that discussion was the distinction often
          made between social innovation and social enterprise, and the notion that
          social entrepreneurship can be seen as representing the combination of those
          two schools of thought.

          Jerr Boschee offered an article he recently wrote for the Social Enterprise
          Reporter on that subject, and we included a link to SER's archives to access
          that article. However, some folks reported that they had difficulty
          downloading Jerr's article. Here it is again, with a new SER link that will
          presumably work for everybody, along with a second link, just in case the
          first one doesn't work for you.

          http://www.sereporter.com/article.php?a=418
          SER302303Boschee.pdf]

          Note: To access Jerr's article on the latter site, you'll need a Yahoo ID.