Re: Use technology to generate unrestricted revenues

  • Steve Kincade
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2000
      I would like to add something to this thread.

      It seems to have digressed into a MLM issue in that are we promoting
      a product or are we trying to recruit people and making money from
      that direction.

      I will say that there is a whole new avenue in this field that has
      not been discussed here. The next generation of products that are
      coming on-line are FREE to give away. This is MLM in the sense that
      you can raise $.50 for every product given away and it does expand
      uni-wide and 10 levels deep.

      But how do people feel about this? Is Direct Marketing a good thing
      when they are promoting a product that is 100% free? People are not
      required to pay anything and if they are willing to accept it, they
      will be helping their non-profit organization.

      Personally, I think that this bridges the gap between what is
      acceptable and what is not. I am supporting many non-profits locally
      and I have decided to expand on this to the rest of the world. If a
      non-profit can take a free product and give it away for free and make
      money on it, what is the downside? As well they can tell other non-
      profits about this and effectively build another fund-raiser by
      simply introducing this to another non-profit in another city.

      Comments?

      Steve Kincade
      PureFundRaiser.com

      --- In nonprofit_entrepreneurship@egroups.com, "Aaron Laramore"
      <handtek2k@n...> wrote:
      > Joe,
      >
      > I respond as follows.
      >
      > --- In nonprofit_entrepreneurship@egroups.com, "Joe Beckmann"
      > <joeb@o...> wrote:
      > When a nonprofit sells an HP or Lexmark product it implies an
      > endorsement of that product which may not be true, may conflict
      with
      > other endorsements, and may set that nonprofit up to lose
      substantial
      > support or gifts from other sources in the community.
      >
      > I could say the same thing about a non profit selling candy bars
      > (which non profits do), but that does not make it a significant
      risk.
      > We disagree. The issue of implied endorsement is real, but I think
      > you over emphasize it as a risk by orders of magnitude.
      >
      > You said:
      > While I don't dispute the legitimacy of many different kinds of
      > development tactics, an awful lot of them have a lot more upside
      than
      > this one. Washing cars or baking cookies might work just as well,
      as
      > long as you avoid food poisoning.
      >
      > Neither washing cars nor baking cookies has more upside than what I
      > have suggested. Your opinion is based on incomplete information.
      You

    • cfda@md3
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2000
        Dear Steve,
        Thank you for your e-mail.Your initiative is commendable. We are open to
        this kind of fund generation. It is not that we endorse all the products
        that we pass on., as we could assess the product and company before passing
        the gift. We would be willing to part of this fundraising networking effort.
        R.JAYACHANDRAN
        Chief Executive-Centre For Development Alternatives, Chennai,INDIA.